10. PLAYING WITH DEATH

"IS this a race?"

"Come on!" Chloe exclaimed and continued running ahead of me.

"How many times are you going to get mad at me this week?" I asked breathlessly.

"That depends on you. And how well you do in this phase of the exam."

We came to a field full of junk in Arcadia Bay. Used washing machines, TVs, piles of junk cars, burnt-out school buses, even wrecked ships are here. Rusty petrol barrels are scattered everywhere. When I turned towards the windmill to the north, a train passed by ringing its bells.

"Welcome to American Rust, my home away from hell."

"Raw and rough. Perfect for you."

"Max, do you know how great this is? I got my best friend back, and she's a superhero too?"

"We don't know how long it will take," I said.

"Exactly! That's why now is the time to have fun."

Chloe took out her gun.

I was astonished. "Are you kidding? After yesterday, I'm kind of out of guns, Chloe. It scares me that you have one."

"Don't you believe me?" she asked.

"Yeah, but not with that gun."

"You have more power than an army. Don't be afraid of my little toy. Besides, we need it for the exam."

Chloe took a sip from the beer bottle in her hand, then offered it to me.

"Drink?"

"Yuck!" I stuck out my tongue in disgust.

"You're so cute. You haven't changed a bit. OK, let's do this. Can you find five bottles while I set up the shooting range?"

"Beer and guns? Nice combo," I commented.

"You can handle it. Now find us five bottles? Pretty please?"

"I have to find dirty bottles while you relax? It's not fair," I complained.

"I had to get the range ready, crybaby. And I've been stumbling hard about where you got this recoil power."

"From God. Or the gods. So, submit."

"We can bring the world into submission... Are you ready for that?"

"Oh, yeah. Once I figure out exactly how my powers work. The gods sure know these things," I said sarcastically.

"Amen! And when you build an empire, I'll be there to keep you on the path of evil. And fun," Chloe said.

"Spin, rinse and repeat... I just changed time and space. Oh yeah, and history. No problem."

"You've changed history by saving my life, smartass. Let's see what else you can do." Chloe returned to her work lifting the board and placing it on the stand.

I walked away from her to look for a bottle. Even though this place is full of junk, there are lots of trees which make this place shady and comfortable for relaxing.

"Where to find a bottle...maybe in an old refrigerator..."

I walked to the area across from Chloe with the washing machine, empty chests, and rusty boats. There was a beer bottle on top of an old refrigerator. I stood on the tip of my toes and tried to reach it with my hand, but the bottle fell to the ground and broke.

"Stupid bottle!"

I replayed, moved the crate, then grabbed the bottle.

"Hello bottle number one! Four more!"