31. DISASTER

THE worst thing was seeing Victoria leave and knowing that Jefferson had killed her... all because of me.

I have never felt so helpless and hopeless in my life. That makes me even more determined to turn back time and save Victoria too...

Amazingly, it was David Madsen who showed up to save me. Thanks to his own oversight, he almost becomes Jefferson's shadow and tracks him to the farmhouse.

I can use my time rewind powers for good and actually help David fight Jefferson.

However, I didn't tell David about Chloe... I couldn't. He would probably kill Jefferson.

I knew the only way I could save Chloe now was to get the photo Warren had taken of us in the parking lot. I just hope he's okay in this storm.

I opened the barn door, where Jefferson's car was. Outside it was raining heavily.

"Freedom... Oh my! The storm was real."

For the first time since my vision, I could see the storm materializing in this reality. When I felt the strong winds of the tornado, everything became even more sad.

"I have to find Warren."

I took out my cell phone.

"Yes!" I dialed Warren's number. "Warren! Can you hear me?"

Warren's voice was unclear. "Max?! Damn, where are you?"

"Never mind... Listen, do you have the photos you took last night in the parking lot?"

"Uh, yeah, but why? That wasn't a good shot."

"Yes, I do and I want it! Where are you?" I asked.

"I'm at the Two Whales Diner. Stuck here with Joyce, thanks to this armageddon weather. I'm hoping the ocean turns red," he answered. The sound is intermittent due to bad network. Behind there was thunder shaking.

"I'm on my way."

"Come on, that's crazy! You can barely walk on the sidewalk outside..." His voice was static. "Seriously, Max, stay wherever you are. I don't think this storm is getting any smaller... I'm a little scared."

"It's okay, me too! But this isn't over yet, Warren. So, hold on!" My orders are firm.

"Wait-"

I hung up the phone and got into Jefferson's car and drove past Arcadia Bay, listening to the radio.

I'm so relieved to be able to contact Warren, but he's definitely stuck at the Two Whales restaurant with that photo. Yes, this seems like a job for Super Max.

The voice on the radio shook. There was only a quiet song behind the announcer speaking.

"I told you. I, Truss Limpbow, have been warning you all for years that our culture of sin and entitlement will lead to God bringing us down! And I'm the one who's stuck on this damn radio station. Someone get me out of here now! Now, dammit! Why am I paying all those taxes?"

My phone rang and I checked it, placing the phone next to me.

Sound automatically plays. "You have one new message. Message received yesterday at 9 p.m."

"Max, it's... Nathan."

My heart sank to my feet. I ignored the road and stared at my small cell phone. The voice on the other end was sobbing.

"I... I just wanted to say... I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt Kate, or Rachel, or—or... didn't want to hurt anybody. Everybody... used me!" His voice rose, but he seemed caught between despair and tears, also, scared. "Mr. Jefferson... is coming for me now. All this shit will be over soon. Watch out, Max... He wants to hurt you next. Sorry."