11. OUT OF TIME

Chloe's CAR stopped in front of Blackwell's entrance. When I opened the door, raindrops greeted my sneakers. I turned towards Chloe.

"Thanks for the ride, Chloe. Just in time for my art lesson."

"Thanks for coming with me. Sorry it was so boring," she said.

"Nothing interesting ever happens to us, right?"

She laughed. "Listen, your recoil power must be connected to yesterday's snow. That might explain your tornado vision."

"Explain what? Snow is the same as the big tornado that destroyed Arcadia Bay? You're drunk, aren't you?"

"Wake up, Max. You saved my life twice now. You changed the course of my destiny, yours, and anyone else's! Do you know about Chaos Theory?"

"What do you know about Chaos Theory, Miss "I Hate Math"?"

"Five years ago, asswipe. Some people change... and your situation was the perfect storm for quantum physics."

"Why me? I'm just a geeky girl in a small town," I said.

"A perfect example of a "freak attractor." Haven't they taught you anything at Blackwell? We've got tornadoes, recoil forces, and freak snow... hello, Armageddon! So let's party with your powers, rock stars!"

"As you said, Professor Price: a superhero needs a sidekick."

"How can this be such a shitty week and be one of the best of my life?" She smiled and we stared at each other for a few moments.

"Because we're back in action again!"

We fist-bumped before I finally had to drag my ass out of the truck. I waved as Chloe left.

I have a little time before Mr. Jefferson's class, so...I can go for a walk.

I entered the campus building. Courtney was standing in front of a brown table with a paper sign and a pen.

"Hey, Courtney."

"Ciao, Max. No photos, please. I have to make a guest list for the Vortex Club guests."

"Is it true?"

"Oh, it seems like you care," she said sarcastically.

"I'm not...anti-soiree."

"But you seem anti-fashion. Vortex Club parties have a strict dress code. Do you even have a dress? Sorry, but nice try."

I rolled my eyes.

"Forget it, Max. You're not on the guest list," she said again.

I rewind time.

"Hey, Courtney," I repeated greeting her again.

"Ciao, Max. No photos, please. I have to make a guest list for the Vortex Club guests."

"Is it true?"

"Oh, it seems like you care."

"I believe the Vortex Club has a dress code. As you can see, I need your advice on what to wear," I said.

Courtney smiled. "Thanks, Max. I didn't think you looked high fashion. Just sayin', I'll put you on the guest list and before the party, I can give you some tips."

"Cool. Thanks, Courtney."

"I'll send you the party info later. Back to the list!" she exclaimed excitedly.

After entering the hallway leading to the science lab and art class, I got a text from Warren.

I still have time... I could see Warren playing a mad scientist in the lab.