30. CONFRONTATION

I opened my eyes and gasped as the camera flash hit me.

I'm back in the Dark Room!

Oh, fuck! God, no... I'm back here again?! I think I fixed everything!

I was still tied to the chair and Jefferson was standing in front of me, his arms crossed.

"What did you say, Max?"

What?! Jefferson should be in prison, not here...

"Jesus. Looks like you're back in my class. You're still... daydreaming... out. It might be cool if you take one of your patented selfies now... A transformation between old Max and new Max."

My right leg is free from restraints. My expression of fear and confusion turned into a frown.

"By the way, please answer my question," he ordered right in front of me.

"Eat shit and die."

Jefferson laughed with satisfaction. "Good answer, good answer."

My nose is bleeding again. Jefferson leaned over to check and held my head as I struggled, then backed away.

"Hey...your nose is bleeding. Maybe I gave you too big a dose. Sorry about that, Max. But considering you're going to die, nosebleeds are a first world problem."

I turned to where Victoria was previously lying on the floor, only to find her empty.

"Oh. I have to let Victoria Chase go," Jefferson said.

"You let go?"

"Don't be stupid, okay?! She's where he deserves to be."

My eyes bulged in horror. "No..."

"Oh, as if you care." He stared at me more closely right in front of my face. "Your iris... It... widened like a shutter... the picture you took of me just now. It's a shame that you let your talents go to waste. You could have won the contest, but you destroyed your own beautiful photo. What a shame. Sorry. I burned all your stuff. I got a little carried away."

I turned to see the burnt remains of my journal in the tray on the trolley.

Damn it! He burned my diary! That's why I'm still here.

Jefferson was annoyed that I tore up my pageant photo, panicking about my "wasted talent." That bastard burned my diary, so I can't even rewind it using my art class selfie.

So my whole plan failed and I couldn't send David a message about Jefferson...

that's why I ended up back in this evil Dark Room, after I thought I had escaped.

"You know, I've always believed in your vision," he said. "Especially since you've gone from nerd to hero in a week. There's something...strange happening to you."

The lights in the room flickered and thunder could be heard outside. Jefferson looked up at the ceiling and then back at me.

"Wow! Do you see how crazy it is outside? Like I said... something strange... There's that fear... Oh, Max... It was an honor to work with you on this last session. I hope the pictures- these images will be appreciated for what they truly capture. The loss of...youth." Jefferson chuckled. "At least... that's the last lecture you'll ever have to hear from me. And I promise... no more nosebleeds."

I ignored it easily. Chloe and tornadoes are on my mind right now. How do I get out of here?

My voice trembled. "Mr. Jefferson...Please...don't do this. You don't know what's going on."

"Sh-sh-sh-sh-sh... Calm... calm, Max."

Jefferson walked away and I struggled against his bonds, sobbing a little.