CXLIX

Part 149

Her cheeks were warm, and so was his. Andy waited for his response, especially when his brows flinched at her remark.

But Klein just took a breath.

"I know sinabi ko before na magsasabi agad ako sa 'yo if Raymund and I are going out. It slipped my mind for a while kasi nga I was rushing. Natataranta ako mag-ayos ng gamit ko. I was meaning to tell you where we were kaso wala nang signal sa area. I tried every time may konting bar na dumadagdag sa phone ko, but my messages weren't coming through."

Andy reached for her phone from her pocket, opening their message thread.

"Here." She handed him her phone. "Ilang beses din naman akong nag-try. I know it was a lapse on my part kasi I didn't tell you right away, but I sincerely forgot about it kasi nagmamadali talaga ako. And I'm sorry if I did forget about it for a while. I tried to tell you when I remembered but the circumstances didn't allow it, nakihiram din ako ng phone kay Raymund and sa guide namin kanina para ma-reach ka pero pare-pareho kaming walang service. I didn't mean to leave you out."

"Okay." Klein breathed. "Ano pa?"

"Huh?"

"'Di ba may kasunod pa 'yong sasabihin mo?"

Andy pressed her lips for a while. His face was stoic and the beating inside her chest was so loud it was ringing in her ears.

She was used to arguing, it's part of her job. Most of the time, she's confident even if the odds were working against their favor. But she has never felt this way . . . where she's trying really hard to keep her composure and she couldn't feel her feet anymore.

"Sabihin mo na. Ano 'yong kasunod?" Klein prompted.

Andy's lips gaped open but there wasn't a whisper of her voice coming out.

The elevator pinged, stopping on their floor and Klein was the first one to come out.

Andy hitched her breath when she followed him to her hotel room.

"Naghihintay ako sa kasunod, Attorney," he said when he closed the door behind him. "'Di ba sabi mo hindi mo gets kung bakit kailangan mong magpaalam sa akin? Sabi mo kanina huminto muna ako kasi kailangan kong makinig sa 'yo pero 'di mo rin naman ako pinakikinggan. Wala akong sinabing kailangan mong magpaalam sa akin. Ang gusto ko lang naman, i-consider mo 'ko. Maalala mo 'kong sabihan kung nasaan ka at sinong kasama mo. Hindi mo kailangang magpaalam sa 'kin. Wala akong sinabing gano'n. Sino ba ako para pigilan ka? Ang sa 'kin lang naman e maging considerate ka. Kasi parang wala ako dito—"

"That's what I don't get," she said, intervening. "I don't get why I have to inform you. Not just Raymund aside but I don't get why I have to tell you who I'm with or saan ako pupunta."

Klein scoffed in disbelief. "Seryoso ka ba?"

"Yes. I'm genuinely asking what's the purpose of it kasi hindi ako sanay sa gano'n. I've been operating on my own for 29 years and I'm perfectly fine without informing someone about my whereabouts and sudden getaway trips. I don't understand why I have to tell you those things when I can handle myself and when I'm perfectly fine. It's as if I have to depend on you to protect me or worry about me when I'm capable of that. So make me understand why."

"Andy, concerned kasi ako sa 'yo."

"I know. I get that you were concerned. Pero okay naman ako. Kaya ko. You don't have to worry about me. You can see I'm safe here and I'm whole. I have no problem with my company leaving me behind kasi I feel safe dito sa hotel and I also know when I have to be extra vigilant."

Klein clicked his tongue. "Bakit ba hindi mo ma-gets?"

"Hindi ko naman kasi talaga gets if you're not going to explain it to me. That's why I'm asking you para maintindihan ko . . ." She sighed in frustration and bewilderment combined. "What's the purpose of it? I don't want people worrying over me when I can handle myself," she mumbled.

"Mahal kasi kita," he said.

"What—"

"Pero hindi mo naman ata talaga maiintindihan kung 'di pa 'yan 'yong nararamdaman mo sa 'kin, 'di ba?"

"Klein?"

"Okay lang, gets ko rin," patango-tangong sabi ni Klein. It's as if he realized something.

"Gets ko," he said before going out of the room.