Chapter 19 - The journey

A tall East-asian woman vampire that I'd never seen before was waiting for me when I got out of my taxi. I paid the driver and followed her. She didn't say a word, simply sweeping me past security with a nod to the security officers. 

I followed her to check-in and got my ticket. I didn't need to go through any of the baggage checks or metal detectors, instead I was brought straight to my gate. She waited until it was time to board and then wordlessly lead me to my seat, first class. Of course Aro wouldn't want me near the majority of the humans. It was too dangerous. A brush of the hand and they would feel how ice cold my skin was. 

Still, I was wearing a long hoodie, several sizes too big. It reached halfway into my hands and swallowed my head into the hood. I wore leggings and tall laced up boots protecting my skin extensively. Even so, I was receiving a lot of stares. I lowered my gaze and pretended to entranced by the window. That was until someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Oh, Sorry miss." said the woman. She was middle aged, and looked quite startled when she saw my face but regained composure quickly. "It's just you were sitting so still and quiet, I was afraid something had gone wrong."

Shit. Turning into a vampire half breed meant I didn't need to move around as much. That included visible breathing, blinking, and general shifts in my body. I wasn't as still as all the vampires, but I definitely was stiller than all humans.

"It's no problem, ma'am." I responded smiling hoping to charm her away. She was clearly taken aback but smiled back before moving down the aisle. I was in deep trouble, my interaction with her had caused attention to be sent my way and now plenty of people were looking my way.

I buried myself deeper into my hoodie forcing myself to close my eyes and fall asleep with my head turned away from the rest of the people. As soon as the flight took off, I closed the compartment doors and put the do not disturb sign.

Then I leaned against the window and fell into a deep slumber.

~~~

"Welcome to Vancouver International Airport." said the loudspeaker, "We hope you enjoy your stay."

The doors to the plane had barely opened when a male vampire dressed in a flight attendant suit came to escort me out the plane. I hadn't even realised that there was a vampire on board. I should have really been more attentive.

I skipped security and baggage claim before stepping outside. It was night, 10:00 pm. No one would notice my skin in the sunlight. I checked my watch. I had almost 6 days remaining. One gone from travelling.

I looked around the area. Where was I to start? Before leaving, I had prepared a map of the entire state checking to see where the vast majority of the disappearances had occured. Alistair had refined taste. He wouldn't settle for any drunks or homeless in the streets. People who wouldn't be missed if they disappeared. He went straight for the pure bloods. The sweet smelling ones.

But he was still smart. the deaths were scattered across the entire state. Not even the times or dates matched eachother. I tried to find any sort of pattern, perhaps a shape or a spiral. But there was none.

I dipped into an alleyway, looking both ways to check for any eyewitnesses before clambering up the wall of the taller building. At the top, I threw down my bag in the area with the least amount of bird shit. There I sat and laid out all the victims in a wide map around me, holding them down with bricks I found in a pile nearby. Where was the pattern? What was the link?