Chapter 5

Layla hair and outfit

It's Monday and we're all at school, meeting up before our classes begin. Blake and Collin look exhausted, and as usual, I can't resist being a little sarcastic. "Is it from playing Xbox all night or talking to girls?" I quip.

"Both," they reply in unison, and I shake my head. "And yet, still no girlfriend. What a shocker," I add with a smirk.

Collin seems like he's about to retort, but it's too early for all of that. Cassie lays her head on my shoulder, probably thinking about her Japanese quiz. Sawyer, ever the optimist, reassures her, but she's not entirely convinced.

Riley chimes in, asking Cassie to say something in Japanese. In her half-asleep state, Cassie manages it perfectly, earning a nod of approval from Riley, who's busy sketching away in her notebook.

I bring up our usual meeting spot after school. "We're still meeting at our place, right?"

Everyone agrees, and just as we're about to head to class, the bell rings. Cassie, still half-asleep, protests in her adorable baby voice.

"We have to go to class now," I say, trying to coax her.

"But me don't wanna," she pouts.

"You want to be smart, don't you?" I remind her. "You want to go to your dream college and be wealthy?"

She nods, and I take her hand. "Then we must go to class," we say in unison. I walk her to her classroom, and Riley can't help but comment, "They're like a couple."

As Cassie and I walk, Sawyer agrees, "I know."

"We all know," Riley adds.

In English class, as Ms. Rodriguez droned on about Shakespeare, I couldn't help but notice Vanessa a few seats away. We'd met a couple of times before, and there was something about her that always caught my attention.

As the class went on, our eyes met, and she flashed me a playful smile. Vanessa had this way of making even the most mundane subjects seem interesting.