Chapter 18

Layla hair and outfit

Today, I'm officially seventeen. Birthdays have never been a big deal for me; they're just another notch on the timeline of life. But, I have to admit, this one feels a bit different. Maybe it's the people around me, maybe it's the experiences of the past few months, or maybe it's just the subtle change in perspective that comes with growing up. Either way, it's not just any ordinary day.

I spend the morning of my seventeenth birthday doing the usual routine-getting ready for the day, grabbing a quick breakfast, and mentally preparing myself for whatever surprises my friends might have planned. Birthdays have never been a big deal for me, but there's a subtle excitement in the air this time.

As I head downstairs, Collin greets me with a cheerful "Happy birthday, Lay."

"Thanks, Collin," I reply, genuinely appreciative of the sentiment.

He hands me a bag, and I'm momentarily taken aback. "Dude, you did not have to get me anything."

He shrugs, "I don't listen, plus you know how my mom is."

I smile, pulling out a couple of books from the bag. "Aw, thank you! Books? I love books."

Collin grins, "Yup, I didn't know what to buy because I don't know your preferences."

"It's fine. Thank you. Plus, I've read all of my other books, so this is useful," I say, feeling grateful for the thoughtful gift.

As I enjoy the breakfast that Collin's mom has prepared-a spread of my favorite dishes-I can't help but reflect on the past few months. The journey from best friends to something more with Cassie, the laughter and banter with our friends, and the unexpected turns life has taken-all of it has shaped me in ways I couldn't have anticipated.

After breakfast, I receive a series of messages from Sawyer, Riley, Blake, and Cassie, each wishing me a happy birthday in their own unique way. The familiar banter and inside jokes in their texts bring a smile to my face. Maybe birthdays are more enjoyable when they're shared with people who truly know and understand you.