Chapter 17

Layla hair and outfit

These past few months have been a rollercoaster, and if anyone asked me if I would do it all over again, I would. I would relive everything because I love everything. My life is brighter even though I was born in darkness.

As I sit in the library, thoughts of the recent months flood my mind. The whirlwind of emotions, the challenges faced, and the blossoming love-I wouldn't trade any of it.

Cassie's sudden arrival at the lunch table disrupts my contemplation. Out of breath, she explains her birthday planning crisis to our friends. Riley, munching on Cheetos, asks, "Okay, why are you out of breath?"

Cassie, catching her breath, confesses, "Because tomorrow is Layla's freaking birthday, and I don't know what the hell to get her or do."

Sawyer chimes in with a suggestion, "I mean, it shouldn't be hard. She's not picky."

Feeling the pressure, Cassie responds, "That's not the point, Sawyer. She's my best friend and my girlfriend. I can't just do anything."

Collin, ever the wise one, offers advice, "Well, she hates parties, so don't do that."

Blake adds, "And, like what Sawyer says, she's not picky." The rest of the friends nod in agreement.

Cassie, still stressed, says, "Thank you, boys. You bozos are a lot of help," and she puts her head down.

Riley attempts to reassure her, "Cas, you have nothing to worry about. You have us to help you. It would be different if you were doing it alone."

I, who have silently joined the conversation, sitting next to Cassie, ask, "She good?"

Cassie, trying to cover up her stress, replies, "Yeah, I'm good. Just tired from my history exam."

I lean in and offer comfort, "It's okay. You did fine, at least you should because I helped you study for it." I plant a gentle kiss on her forehead, hoping to alleviate some of her worries.

The conversation about my birthday continues, and despite my resistance to anything grand, the friends persist in their attempts to add flair to the celebration.