Chapter 10

I’ll tell you what; this had to be the most boring day of my whole entire life! Seriously! I mean we had to just sit here all day playing chess. Well I was watching but that just worse. I don’t even like chess. I hate it! There is absolutely nothing more in this world I hate more than chess just because of today. It was so boring watching the team’s play that I literally fell asleep.

CIARA

I woke up startled by the voice yelling in my head but I guess I should be used to it. I asked Langdon to wake me up when the teams I was observing had finished, after I had studied them for a few minutes, of course. There are only these two teams left and I was ‘watching’ the game with my small team of leftovers and looking out across the board I saw that they have indeed finished.

Yes now we can play the winner and be finished.

I am super excited! Not to play but to win against this team and leave. We had been here for six hours I think that we have had enough.

My team got ourselves quickly organized and started planning some strategies that could help us wins. I’m no good at chess and don’t know much about it but I hear once that if you control the four middle squares you control the game and when I told the team of how that can happen in the beginning in a few simple turns the agreed to do it.

‘After that you know I’m just going to observe and give you input whenever I think we need it right’ I insisted.

They all looked to me disappointed and thwarted. The seemed to have looked up to me to lead the group and I just didn’t get it. Sure I am pretty good at battle strategy and have a keen eye for weaknesses in most people but it surprised me that just after one ‘pack fighter game’ that they would respect me enough to want to follow me. I seemed to glow with pride at their faith in me and took charge.

‘Who knows the game’ I ask looking at each face. They are all different in appearance but are kind of built the same. They are all quite reasonably tall and have some much defined muscles.

‘I do’ one of the dark haired ones said timidly putting his hand up

I nodded. ‘You will be in charge of making the moves while I want everyone else to watch. After each move we will talk and see all possible moves that we could do to get come out victorious. You can put your say in whenever you like but for now I will make the first moves to gain control of the middle since that is the way I have known to win a chess game and then . . . I’m sorry what’s your name?’ I ask the dude who put his hand up

‘Seth’ he answers immediately.

‘Seth . . . will continue from where I left off but you can put but in whenever. Is that okay with everyone?’ I hum of agreement sounded around and nod.

‘Okay. Do not hesitate to jump in with your opinion. This is a team effort and we will need everyone to participate.’ Again a hum of agreement was made. ‘Let’s get down to business and win this game.’ with a cheer we got down to it.

We won! We had won the chess game. It took some time but with everyone jumping in we had finally won. We had actually worked as one unit and came out victorious. I was extremely proud and not of just myself but our team.

We were jumping in achievement and satisfaction, clapping each other on the back and laughing. It felt great to win even something like chess.

‘Okay settle down.’ The king called out calming us. ‘Seems like our winners, are the eight. Congratulations. You will have an advantage in the next game. You are all welcome to leave now. Have a great afternoon.’ He said dismissing everyone.