i. Into the Darkness

"I'VE ALWAYS VALUED FIGHTING OVER TALKING"

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

"ARE YOU DEAF? She just said that she was not interested," Emelyne Ivetta snapped. She was not having the best day of her life. As she said the words, she quickly pulled the girl behind her back, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"She looked pretty interested when she entered our tent," the soldier scoffed. Emelyne eyed his movements carefully, tensing up as he approached.

"I-- I don't mean to cause trouble," the girl behind her whispered softly, clenching the back of her shirt. Emelyne's eyes softened as she felt her tremble.

"You've done nothing wrong," she shot the soldier a piercing glare. The glare alone was enough to have the soldier back down. He strolled back inside his tent, muttering curses beneath his breath, but Emelyne couldn't have cared less.

After he was gone, she tightened her grip on the girl's hand, dragging her away. She dragged her away from camp and up the hill, where they would usually sit at for dinner. "What were you thinking, Annina?" Emelyne sighed as she looked the girl up and down.

"I'm sorry, Emme..." the younger girl averted her eyes, looking anywhere but at her in shame, "I was just running an errand for Rivra. I wanted to help you."

After a beat, her eyes softened. "Are you hurt anywhere?" Aninna shook her head and the older girl breathed a sigh of relief, the corner of her lips lifting into a smile, "I'm just glad you are alright, Anna. I did warn you to stay away from those soldiers. I'll bet that half of them would love to tumble with a Grisha, see what a Squaller can do."

Annina gagged visibly, "Emme!"

"Just saying," Emelyne laughed before the smile was wiped from her face. "I'm leaving on the sandskiff tomorrow before sunrise."

"And I'm going with you."

"Absolutely not," she glared at Annina, "Stars, I forbid you from doing so."

"I'm your friend, therefore I'm going with you."

"Anna, it's dangerous."

"No, Emme, I'm not about to let you face the world by yourself. You need someone to watch your back and you know it. I might not be able to fight that well, but I can still defend you!" Annina listed her reasons with a fire in her eyes. "Besides, more soldiers have shown up this morning."

"More soldiers?" Emelyne's eyebrows knitted together in concern, "I thought yesterday's was the last batch. What happened?"

"You happened!" her friend exclaimed before wincing, lowering her volume to avoid drawing further attention, "I wonder why news has traveled that a Nature Summoner is in Novokribirsk."

"They're here for me? Why, I'm flattered."

"Emelyne," Annina's voice held a warning note.

"Fine. You can go with me. We'll leave as soon as possible," she sighed at last. She searched her friend's eyes only to find nothing but determination. Emelyne nodded her head slowly as if planning it out in her head before questioning, "More soldiers, about how many?"

"More than a dozen," she squinted her eyes to remember, "And if I recall correctly, they were followed by a black carriage." Annina shuddered, "Black is not a good color."

"I'm sure everything will be alright." She sighed, giving her hands a light squeeze before standing up, "Head back to camp, Anna. Sleep early and don't even think about sneaking out," she snuck a hint of a warning in her words, "You'll need energy for... tomorrow." Even the mere thought of the Shadow Fold filled her with dread.