ii. A Bit of Light

"THE DARK IS COLD, IS IT NOT?"

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

THE AIR RIPPLED with tension between them. Emelyne inhaled sharply, shivers running up her spine. It made her skin crawl— the way he looked at her. The calculated eyes of a man weighing her worth... seeing if she were of any use. If she wasn't, she would be discarded.

As soon as he took a step closer, her hand flew out on instinct. The ground trembled beneath us as she rotated her hand slowly, never breaking eye contact. If he were fazed, the man didn't show it. Skeins of vines rose from the ground, wrapped in a glowing sheen of gold.

The man's eyes widened with visible and anticipated surprise. "Just what are you?" he repeated the question breathlessly, although it seemed like the question was more directed at himself than at her. Despite his surprise, he didn't flinch.

"I'm a Grisha," Emelyne replied carefully.

He hummed quietly in her response. There was no fear in his eyes— he looked almost fascinated by the skeins of vines that wrapped around her arms, preparing to strike if he were to attack at any second. "Oh, is that all, Emelyne?" He chuckled softly, stepping a bit closer.

"You'll regret not using that ability of yours," She warned, her vines crackling as they snaked closer to him. Shall I kill him now? She wondered quietly. I suppose that is my only option since he has learned of my abilities.

His laugh vibrated in his chest as he moved fearlessly closer to her. His eyes studied her face, standing barely a foot in front of her. "Such a strange ability," he whispered, "Almost like the work of an artist." There was an irritating smile on his face that Emelyne couldn't help but roll her eyes at. He was surely provoking her, curious about the extent of her abilities.

Her eyes narrowed. You asked for it. The vines resting on her arms rose and snapped, shooting towards him. Emelyne's heart thudded when her attack was blocked effortlessly by... a wall of shadow...? The hairs on her arms prickled when she realized the gravity of the situation. Oh stars. That was why his black kefta was so familiar— he was no ordinary Grisha. He was the Darkling, General Kirigan of the Second Army. The only Shadow Summoner of Ravka.

Wow, he does not look that old. Emelyne immediately scolded herself for her first thought. "What do you want... General?" She had to run now. She had to figure out a plan to escape. It wasn't that her power was anywhere inferior to his... but that she lacked necessary training and years of experience... compared to his.

He simply chuckled, "I should punish you for lying to me, threatening me, and attacking me."

Damn his handsome face. She cursed to herself. "You forget that I'm not under your command as we are currently in Western Ravka... general. I'm just passing through— that's not a lie."

"What about the part where you attacked me?"

"I tried to attack you. Didn't succeed," Emelyne glared at him, "In my defense, you also had it coming."

An amused smile lifted his lips, "How about I propose a deal, instead, Emelyne?"

"I doubt anything would tempt me, General."

"I'm offering you a place in my army," The Darkling interrupted her, his voice strangely firm with no sign of hesitance.

Emelyne blinked twice, flabbergasted. "I'm afraid I will be declining your offer," she turned away on her heel, "If you excuse me, it's getting late and... my friend was waiting for me before you stopped me."