Mach 10

-Hangar Office- 

Cain: Maverick and Breaker. Over 40 years of combined service. Combat medals. Citations. Only soldiers to both shoot down 5 enemy planes in the last 40 years. "Distinguished." "Distinguished." "distinguished."

[Clock ticking]

[looks at breaker] you're probably due for a promotion soon but knowing the Mitchell family, you'll refuse and be exactly like your old man.

And you (looks at Mav) can't get a promotion, you won't retire, and despite your best efforts, you refuse to die. You should be at least a two-star admiral by now, if not a senator. Yet here you are: Captain.

Why is that?

Mav: It's one of life's mysteries, sir.

Cain: This isn't a joke. I asked you a question.

Mav: I'm where I belong, sir.

Cain: Well, the Navy doesn't see it that way. Not anymore.

[Jet passes overhead]

These planes you've been testing, captains, one day, sooner than later, they won't need pilots at all. Pilots that need to sleep, eat, take a piss. Pilots that disobey orders.

Breaker: Pilots that have intuition that no machine in the next 50 years can recreate.

Cain: (pointedly at breaker) All you did was buy some time for those men out there. The future is coming, and you're not in it. Escort these soldiers off the base. Take them to their quarters. Wait with both of them while they pack their gear. I want them on the road to North Island within the hour.

Mav: North island, sir?

Breaker: already?

Cain: Call came in with impeccable timing, right as I was driving here to ground your ass once and for all. [to Mav, Breaker's still got a while]

[Scoffs] It galls me to say it, but...

For reasons known only to the almighty and your guardian angel... You've been called back to top gun.

Mav: Sir?

You are dismissed, captain. The end is inevitable, Captains. Your kind is headed for extinction.

Mav: Maybe so, sir.

Breaker: But not today.

-Officer's Boardroom- 

Cyclone: Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Your reputation precedes you.

Mav: Thank you, sir.

Cyclone: Wasn't a compliment. And Captain Parker "Breaker" Mitchell. Seems like you wanted to follow in your old man's footsteps. Hopefully not exactly like him, you still have some reputation left.

[pause]

I'm Admiral Beau Simpson. I'm the air boss. I believe you know admiral bates.

Mav: Warlock, sir.

Must admit, I wasn't expecting an invitation back.

Warlock: They're called orders, Maverick. You three have something in common. Cyclone here was first in his class back in '88.

Mav: Actually, sir, I finished second. Just want to manage expectations.

Breaker: I was bored so, accidentally finished first. I do have some notes on the whole course for improving the modules.

Cyclone: [Sighs]

[Awkward silence. Cyclone nods to Warlock who takes a remote and summons images on the monitors on the walls. Warlock clicks through surveillance images of industrial buildings at the base of a forbidding valley.]