Chapter 13: Brawl!

"Our final match will be... Jaune Arc...?" Glynda took a moment to re-read the name. This would be the first time anyone outside of Team RWBY and Team PRN would witness Jaune in a combat scenario, and much had changed in his style since the past.

"Jaune Arc will be going up against Cardin Winchester" Glynda announced. Cardin wore a confident smirk and glanced over at Jaune, who was sitting at the very back of the stadium, reclining on a row of chairs with his boots resting on the one below. His eyes were closed.

Cardin's team members showered him with compliments for facing the perceived "support" member. In the eyes of most, Jaune was unremarkable. He had barely made it into Beacon, and many believed he was so unskilled that no one would want him on their team.

The rumors had spread after some disgruntled students discovered that Jaune could skip classes. "May the named students please stand on the stage after grabbing your equipment" Glynda instructed. She then tapped a few buttons on her scroll, displaying a photo of Jaune with his hawk-like eyes and a serious expression, contrasting Cardin's smirking image.

Cardin quickly donned his equipment and stepped onto the stage, anticipating his opponent's arrival. To his surprise, there was no sign of Jaune. "Huh?" he wondered with confusion. As he followed the gaze of his classmates, he realized that Jaune hadn't moved at all. "Is he seriously sleeping?!" Shock and disbelief rippled through the crowd.

Glynda gazed sternly at Jaune from across the amphitheater, preparing to reprimand him. However, before she could finish her words, Jaune's voice, monotone and flat, echoed through the hall. He opened one eye, fixed his gaze on Glynda, and declared, "Do not raise your voice at me, woman."

"I choose my own fights

"I choose my own fights. Why should one bother squashing a bug when that bug poses no threat, not even the slightest scratch?" Jaune's tone remained serious as he openly mocked Cardin's weakness. Cardin clenched his fists in anger, seething with frustration. Jaune saw no compelling reason to fight him. Could he fight for the Faunus girl? He could, but he had no intention to.

Fighting for someone else, particularly when there was no personal connection, was a fool's errand in his eyes. It was a card played in the deck of kings and queens, and Jaune had no interest in being part of that game.

"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, LOOKING DOWN ON YOU COCKY B*STARD!!! DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO COME UP THERE AND DRAG YOU DOWN!!!" Cardin's rage was on full display for everyone to witness. Some students flinched, others felt nervous, and most were concerned for Jaune's safety. A few thought that the cocky kid needed an attitude adjustment, but those who had seen Jaune fight before were genuinely worried for Cardin's well-being.

"Mr. Winchester, calm yourself this instant!" Glynda raised her voice as she smacked her riding crop against the wall. She then adjusted her glasses, causing Cardin to flinch and look away in response.