Chapter 3

Freminet maintained a solemn demeanor, following Deirdre through the narrow corridor as she guided him back to his room. Her grip on her arm revealed her inner turmoil, shaken by the unfolding events and grappling with conflicting emotions toward Freminet. The person she had come to see as charming and lighthearted was, in fact, a Fatuus, a revelation that left her struggling to accept the reality.

In the silent expanse of the seemingly never-ending corridor, their footsteps echoed softly on the cold stone floor, amplifying the unease gnawing at Deirdre. Despite the brief duration of their acquaintance—just two days despite a week of care—she felt a profound sense of betrayal, as if she had unwittingly played into a deceitful game.

_Why do I feel so betrayed? I only just met him..._

As they reached the door of Freminet's room, she finally turned to face him. "Freminet," she began, her voice trembling with a mix of anger, fear, and confusion. "Tell me, is it true? Are you really involved with the Fatui?" She searched his eyes for any sign of deceit, desperately hoping for a denial that would put her mind at ease. She trusted he could remember something if it was true at all, even with his amnesia. "Because that's what Rosaria is going to report to the Knights. It's a misunderstanding, right?"

Freminet met her gaze, his eyes reflecting a turmoil of emotions. He took a deep breath before responding, his voice filled with a hint of regret. "Deirdre, I need you to understand that things are not always as they seem."

Deirdre pressed for a straightforward answer, "Is it a yes or a no? Are you affiliated with the Fatui?"

He shut his eyes and exhaled softly, clutching his pendant once more, before confiding, "When he attacked you, memories of my combat training flooded back... and I began to recall how I received it... where I was sent to obtain it... That Fatui agent, his fighting style, his attire..." Freminet nodded in admission, "I've had prior exposure to it." He then nodded. "I can only conclude that it is true."

Deirdre's heart sank at Freminet's admission. She stepped back from him, distancing herself from him.  The room's shadows seemed to close in around them as she tried to process the implications of his connection to the Fatui. The feelings of betrayal and deceit intensifying.

"I think Rosaria is right... You need to leave here at once."

A profound sense of anguish washed over Freminet. Up to that moment, since waking up with amnesia, Deirdre had been his sole source of solace and trust, and he couldn't bear the thought of losing that anchor in this critical moment in his life. With a heavy heart, he took a hesitant step closer and implored, "Deirdre, please... I'm so sorry.... I didn't know. I wasn't intentionally trying to hide it from you."

Deirdre's bitterness remained evident as she responded with a cold determination, her eyes narrowing in disdain. "Whatever vendetta the Fatui have against you, it resulted in the desecration of the cathedral, and it put my life in jeopardy. I won't jeopardize my safety or the city's well-being for someone who aligns with them."

Freminet closed his eyes, trying to resist the tears forming in his eyes.

He thought from there she would depart from him, but he was surprised when she reached out for his wrist and urged him to follow her. "Come on. You're still my patient, and I'll fulfill my task until the knights come."

Freminet resisted her. "The knights? Am I going to be arrested?"

She maintained her reassuring grip while speaking calmly to Freminet, "You haven't committed any crimes here. Ultimately, you protected me, and I'll ensure they recognize that. However, being a target of the Fatui means you need more protection than the nuns here can offer."