Chapter 11

"I resisted the idea of taking on a student for the longest time, haunted by the relentless ghost of my upbringing. No matter how desperately I attempted to bury the teaching methods that forged me, they resurfaced, their shadow casting a haunting influence, forcing poor Freminet to taste their acrid bitterness," Eula lamented, her voice steeped in the hues of sorrow.

"In the realm of teaching, just as students are not flawless, mentors aren't perfect," Diluc reassured, his voice carrying a soothing cadence. "Mistakes on both sides serve as the soil for growth. Freminet's misstep was weighty; it demanded resolute guidance."

"The sting cuts deeper because I once scoffed at the very idea of his inherent connection to the sea," she lamented, her arms wrapped tightly around her in a mix of regret and pain. "Now, it's as if I'm feeling the same rejection my family harbored toward my love for dancing."

"There's a profound reason why I suggested you as his guide—it transcends sharing a weapon and element. Freminet mirrors facets of your being, but he conceals them beneath the surface. You intimately grasp that struggle, navigating between two worlds, conforming to one while longing to break free, just as you did."

Eula glared at the hand that had struck Freminet, clenching it into a trembling fist. "I didn't break free everything..." she muttered, the remnants of her anger echoing in her voice.

Diluc shifted the conversation's course. "Why did you ultimately decide to mentor him?"

Eula paused, delving into her memories of Freminet. "My decision wasn't based on mere swordsmanship or elemental prowess. It stemmed from an encounter before I even considered mentoring him. His strength transcended the need for a demonstration. I witnessed him battling pneumonia while carrying Deirdre across a frozen lake. He displayed remarkable resilience, an unwavering resolve even in the face of danger when he sensed our presence as a threat," she recounted, the scene vividly playing out in her mind once more when she saw him despite his grave illness, standing in front of Deirdre ready to defend her.

"His vulnerability surfaced when I discovered him in the library. It reminded me of myself when I used to seek solitude but my time spent in solitude was to resent my family, yet his longing was for family. Then, facing the Fatui, weaponless, hands bound, and freshly wounded, he stood resolute. Despite adversity, he didn't falter, exemplifying what it means to be a warrior and protector beyond mere fighting skills," she concluded. She then smiled as she glanced warmly at Diluc. "Honestly, I would be the one missing out if I let an opportunity like him slip through my fingers."

"Will you continue mentoring him?" Diluc inquired.

Eula's response was immediate and firm. "Without a doubt."

Witnessing Eula's unwavering determination, Diluc nodded, acknowledging her dedication. "Your understanding of Freminet's character and your unwavering commitment to his development are truly commendable, Eula."

Eula's features softened, a glimmer of emotion in her eyes. "He embodies resilience and strength, qualities that transcend traditional teaching boundaries."

"You'll only be enhancing those qualities," Diluc affirmed, confidence ringing in his words.

Eula's gaze turned resolute, her determination unwavering. "I'll nurture his potential, just as others within the Knights of Favonius have done for me." Her words echoed with a promise of mentorship and guidance.

Their dialogue hung in the air, a poignant understanding shared between them as Eula reached out, gently placing her hands atop Diluc's, giving them a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you," Eula expressed earnestly.

"For what?" Diluc responded, his voice tender.

"For seeing beyond my history, for not judging me solely by my past," she replied, a touch of gratitude lacing her words.