Chapter 7

As the effects of the drugs wore off, Deirdre deemed it imprudent to have Freminet travel. Although his motor skills had shown improvement and his senses were gradually getting better, they hadn't reached a level where she felt confident enough for him to travel at night, especially in an area riddled with cliffs.

Throughout the quiet hours, Deirdre kept a keen eye on their surroundings, listening intently to the whispers of the night. Her unwavering focus was solely on ensuring Freminet's undisturbed sleep and their safety until the dawn's reassuring light washed away the shadows, signaling the arrival of a new day.

"What's time is it?"

As she glanced toward him, his silhouette shimmered in the soft orange glow of the fading flames nearby.

Turning his gaze upward to meet hers, he patiently awaited her response.

"It's around 2am, give or take an hour. You should be resting," she gently advised.

Sitting up beside her, he offered a patient smile. "I'm tired of this constant need to recover. It feels like all I have done since waking up with my amnesia."

"That doesn't change the fact that it's necessary," she reminded him. "The dose they injected was potent."

"If sleep finds me, it finds me; if it doesn't, it doesn't. Just resting like this helps in my recovery," he mentioned, folding his knees to his chest and delicately resting his restrained wrists atop them. "We ought to take shifts. You need rest too. It's been quite a night for you—saving me and unlocking your vision."

"Which is precisely why I can't find sleep," she admitted, withdrawing her vision and holding it in her hands. "How does one rest after such a close call, followed by being bestowed with such power? I'm awestruck and overwhelmed at the same time."

He chuckled softly, noting the sparkle in her eyes as she cradled her vision. "Your emotions are completely valid," he reassured, his cheeks tinted with a hint of color as he glanced away. "I'm genuinely thrilled for you, but... I can't shake off thoughts of what happened after your first lesson."

Deirdre chuckled, her cheeks flushing in tandem. She didn't voice it, but it was another reason sleep eluded her. Her heart fluttered at the memory, not just of the kiss but also of his desire to simply hold her in silence. The kiss had been fleeting compared to his longing to keep her in his embrace, revealing his deeper feelings that went beyond a mere kiss.

She clenched her fist around the vision, drawing her knees closer as a subtle tension crept into her posture. "Freminet... during your sleep, I've had time to ponder a lot of things."

"Please, share," he encouraged gently, leaning in with a patient anticipation, eager to hear her thoughts.

"How would you react if I decided to leave the church?" she asked, observing his eyes widen in surprise. "I know it might seem premature to bring this up, but if they were to discover... our connection, the consequences could be severe."

His gaze faltered, guilt washing over him. "I'm sorry," he murmured, avoiding direct eye contact.

"I'm not holding you responsible," she rushed to reassure him, a troubled expression etched on her face. "Being with you has brought me immense happiness, and it led to unlocking my vision. I feel not just a desire but a responsibility to stay, to support you and see this through. I can offer more than just my medical expertise now."

Freminet offered a reassuring smile, acknowledging her concerns. "If leaving is what you genuinely desire, it should be your choice. But perhaps rushing into such a decision might not be necessary."