Chapter 4

Freminet strolled the corridors for what might be his final time, veering away from the path toward the cathedral. Instead, he followed Deirdre and Barbara, who guided them deeper into the city's underground maze. He had been outfitted in new attire, sturdy boots, a thick wool cloak, and winter gear to brave Mondstadt's snow-covered terrain.

Emerging from slumber, he was swiftly briefed on an escape plan to depart Mondstadt discreetly. He hastily changed into the provided clothing, readying himself for a swift departure. Although his fever had ebbed and his breathing had improved since that morning, persistent nerves and anxiety still gripped him, leaving him in a tense state.

He found himself with no real alternative but to rely on Barbara and Deirdre for information about Kaeya's plan to facilitate his escape from the city without being noticed. Since the morning encounter with Kaeya, he hadn't seen him and had to trust the guidance provided by the two nuns. Despite Deirdre's actions to confine him, he remained convinced that they meant him no harm. It became increasingly evident that the fate of Mondstadt relied heavily on his shoulders and the knowledge he possessed.

"Alright," Barbara stated, coming to a halt. Ahead of them was a barricade guarding a locked door. Opening the passage, she stepped aside, gesturing for them to proceed alone. "These passages will lead you deeper beneath the city. Stick to the right, and you'll emerge near the west wall. You're familiar with what comes next."

Freminet nodded understandingly. Retrieving the lantern concealed beneath his cloak, he increased its flame to light up the shadowy path ahead. Deirdre led the way through the barricade, glancing back to ensure Freminet followed. She had exchanged her nun attire for a more practical outfit suited for trekking through the snow, a change that allowed her greater mobility. While Freminet didn't mind her nun attire, he felt a sense of ease when she wasn't so formally dressed. He easily recognized her by the long braid trailing down her back and the homely knitted sweater she wore at night. Her presence in comfortable attire transformed the room from a cell into a cozy space resembling a cottage, where he could relax and even savor the aroma of tea, adding warmth to the atmosphere.

Standing before her in that moment, seeing her attired similarly to him, brought a sense of reassurance. Despite her primary task of tending to his illness and injuries, she was starting to feel more like a companion rather than merely a nun or a doctor assigned to him.

As he moved to follow, Barbara gently tugged at his arm to capture his attention. Halting, he paused to listen, though he didn't raise his gaze.

"Continue to watch over her as you have been," she acknowledged his valiant efforts from the previous night. "But please, don't overexert yourself. You're still unwell, and the journey ahead through harsh conditions will only further compromise your health. Please be mindful of that."

Freminet nodded once more and began to move past her but halted abruptly. He shifted his gaze, trying to meet hers. "I apologize for my earlier behavior. Kaeya was right to reprimand me. I could have caused you harm."

Barbara managed a reassuring smile and nodded understandingly. "It was a lot to process all at once... everyone bombarding you with information. Let's put it behind us and focus on the task at hand. Go ahead. The Knights will be waiting on the other side of the river to escort you to safety. If you delay, they might start suspecting something's amiss."

With a final nod, he followed Deirdre through the door, taking the lead this time. Deirdre cast a wary glance backward as Barbara closed and secured the door once again. Despite her knowledge of the tunnels beneath the city, Deirdre had never ventured through them and felt daunted by the darkness and the uncertain path ahead. Yet, fueled by the urgency of their mission, she fortified her determination, pushing herself to summon courage. She hastened her steps to catch up with their leader, the sound of her echoing footsteps filling the dimly lit tunnel.