Chapter 9

Freminet was in the midst of exploring the caverns that connected to the ruins of Thousand Winds Temple. They had arrived just a few hours earlier, settling into their temporary abode within the ruins.

As they had made their approach towards the temple, Freminet impulsively spurred his horse into a sudden gallop, startling both Deirdre and Eula with his sudden mastery of the reins. It was a stark contrast to the difficulty he had encountered coaxing the horse to move forward just a few short hours ago.

However, rather than proceeding toward the temple, Freminet's attention veered towards the distant horizon, where the vast expanse of the ocean met the sky. Driven by emotion, he guided his horse closer to the cliffs, an eager determination to approach the ocean's edge as closely as possible.

Watching Freminet's intense focus on the sea, Deirdre couldn't help but feel a pang of envy. She observed his profound connection with the ocean, sensing an intimate and fervent bond reminiscent of a rekindled love affair, as though the ocean itself was casting a mesmerizing spell, drawing him back to its waves.

Shaking her head in disbelief, she scolded herself internally. I won't be envious of the ocean... Yet, a lingering feeling persisted. Still, I've never seen such longing in his eyes before.

As twilight descended, offering only a fleeting window for exploration, Freminet's restlessness mounted despite having settled into the confines of the temple. Unable to surrender to slumber, he lay wide-eyed, his gaze transfixed on the dancing flames, his heart yearning for the symphony of waves lapping at the shore nearby.

Restlessness held him captive well into the night, until the early hours of morning tempted him beyond resistance. Stealthily slipping away from the room where Eula and Deirdre lay in slumber, he departed from the sturdy stone walls of the temple, venturing into the intricate labyrinth of caverns leading seaward. There, amidst the oppressive darkness, he conjured a radiant sphere of pure cryo energy, an ethereal beacon guiding his clandestine journey.

The atmosphere brimmed with the unmistakable tang of salt and the earthy aroma of seaweed, drawing him further into the depths until he confronted a passage inundated with seawater. Once a clandestine harbor for vessels, it now beckoned him to explore the enigmatic depths.

Freminet discarded his shoes and socks, cautiously venturing into the shallow waters, pondering the prospect of total immersion. Each step forward became a delicate interplay with the encroaching water, its gentle touch teasing his fingertips. Halting mid-stride, he shut his eyes, seemingly yearning for a profound reconnection with the ocean's embrace, as if longing for a moment of deep communion.

In the fleeting moments before his next stride, an unexpected force coiled around him from behind, ensnaring him in an unanticipated, vice-like embrace. Startled, he jerked in surprise, attempting to voice his alarm, only to be reassured by the familiar timbre of Eula's voice. Initial shock melted into frustration, but Eula's grip remained steadfast, refusing to release its hold.

"Got you!" Eula's voice danced with playful amusement as her arms tightened around Freminet's torso. "Ah, the elusive Freminet thought he could slip away unnoticed, did he?"

Her lips curved into a mischievous smile, relishing the challenge of keeping him entangled within her grasp. "Come on now, try to break free. Imagine I'm your captor, whisking you away." She nudged him backward a few paces, reveling in the playful game.

Freminet chuckled softly, a mixture of exasperation and amusement bubbling within him as he experienced Eula's playful yet unyielding hold. Despite a subtle attempt to wriggle free, her grip remained as firm as an unyielding fortress.