Chapter 10

As Freminet ascended the steps leading to the temple, each footfall felt burdened by a weighty sense of shame and disgrace. The very atmosphere crackled with an oppressive tension, thick and suffocating, enveloping him as he stepped into the grand hall.

Upon entering, the hall seemed to hold its breath, the silence pregnant with anticipation and judgment. Eula's piercing gaze met his, cutting through him with a severity that echoed a thousand accusing glares. Diluc's unexpected return only intensified the spectacle, adding layers to the charged atmosphere.

For a fleeting moment, as Deirdre began to rise from her seat, a glimmer of hope sparked within Freminet. However, that fleeting hope was swiftly extinguished as Eula took command of the situation.

Eula's advance was deliberate, her steps echoing with purpose and authority. Her determination hung palpably in the air, a tangible force that caused Freminet to falter and freeze in place, his voice caught in his throat. "Eula, I—"

Before he could finish his plea, his words were met with a thunderous crack that resonated through the hall like a deafening echo. Eula's backhand struck him with a force that seemed to echo the collective judgment of all present, a stark and brutal display witnessed by everyone in attendance. The resounding crack served as an undeniable testament to the severity of the situation, leaving Freminet stunned and the audience in a chilling silence.

"Should you dare to defy me again, consider our mentorship severed," Eula's voice sliced through the air like a sharpened blade, her tone a chilling blend of authority and warning. "I have zero tolerance for disobedience or self-indulgence that undermines our responsibilities. Can you even comprehend the foolishness of your and Deirdre's actions? Was it worth it, Freminet?"

The aftermath of Eula's slap left Freminet's cheeks burning with an intense heat, the searing sensation marking his skin. His gaze remained fixed upon the floor, a battleground of conflicting emotions churning within him. Amidst the storm of shame and defiance, he made a silent vow to stand his ground.

Despite the humiliation etched across his face, he straightened his posture, lifting his gaze to meet Eula's piercing stare. Determination glimmered in his eyes, a silent resolve forming within him, bracing himself for whatever disciplinary measures lay ahead. The glint of determination shone through the turmoil, a testament to his unwavering will, regardless of the consequences.

A suffocating silence enveloped the room, the air thick with the remnants of Eula's admonishment, casting a steep heaviness upon everything. Freminet stood in the center of the stifling atmosphere, his jaw set in a firm resolve as he locked eyes with Eula, a complex blend of regret and a smoldering hint of rebellion brewing within him.

After a lingering moment, Freminet broke the silence, his voice carefully measured but laced with a hint of defiance that refused to be entirely stifled. "I understand," he replied, the words slipping through his lips with a sense of resignation. "It won't happen again."

The atmosphere was filled tension, each word uttered by Freminet like a delicate promise, laden with the weight of his emotions. Though compliant, a subtle defiance emanated from his demeanor, a silent declaration revealing a spirit that refused to be subdued.

Eula's gaze bore into Freminet, a discerning scrutiny assessing the depth of his commitment. A subtle shift softened her steely countenance, a reluctant semblance of approval seeping through her otherwise stern facade. "Freminet, I sincerely hope this serves as a pivotal lesson for you. Your potential is undeniable, but it means little without the discipline to harness it."

Deirdre, visibly concerned despite Eula's strictness, couldn't contain her distress any longer. "Hitting him wasn't necessary. It's not fair. I was the one who persuaded him to—."