𝟒.

Stefan Point Of View

As I approached the address Katherine had given me, my heart pounded in my chest

As I approached the address Katherine had given me, my heart pounded in my chest. Today was the day I would finally meet my daughters, Cleo and Charlotte. The girls who, until now, had no idea that I was their father. The weight of that truth hung heavy in my mind as I stood before their front door.

Taking a deep breath, I raised my hand and knocked, the sound echoing through the quiet neighborhood. Moments later, the door swung open, revealing a young woman with bright blue eyes, her resemblance to Katherine unmistakable. It was Cleo.

"Hello," I said, my voice tinged with nervousness. "I'm Stefan. I was told I could find Cleo and Charlotte here."

Cleo's eyes widened in surprise, her gaze flickering between me and the inside of the house. "Um, Mom, there's someone here to see us," she called out over her shoulder, uncertainty lacing her words.

I heard footsteps approaching, and Katherine appeared in the doorway, her expression a mix of astonishment and apprehension. "Stefan," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "What are you doing here?"

I met Katherine's gaze, feeling a strange mix of emotions bubbling within me. "I wanted to meet them," I replied, my voice steady but filled with longing. "Our daughters. Cleo and Charlotte."

Katherine's eyes softened, and she stepped back, silently inviting me inside. As I crossed the threshold, memories of our past flooded my mind, but I quickly pushed them aside, determined to focus on the present.

We made our way into the living room, where Cleo and Charlotte sat on the couch, engrossed in a movie. They glanced up as we entered, their eyes widening as they took in my presence.

"Hi," Cleo said, her voice cautious yet tinged with curiosity. "I'm Cleo, and this is my sister, Charlotte."

I smiled warmly, trying to ease their uncertainty. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you both," I said, my voice filled with genuine affection. "I'm Stefan."

Charlotte looked at me with wide eyes, her innocence shining through. "Do you know our mom?" she asked, her voice tinged with hope.

My heart twisted at her question, knowing that I held a secret that weighed heavily on my shoulders. "Yes," I replied, my voice softening. "I knew your mom a long time ago. We were friends."

Cleo exchanged a puzzled look with Charlotte, suspicion flickering in her eyes. "If you were friends, why didn't she ever mention you?" she asked, her voice tinged with skepticism.

I took a deep breath, searching for the right words. "Sometimes, life takes unexpected turns," I explained, my voice filled with regret. "People make choices they think are best, even if it means keeping secrets." I uttered to the girls while looking at Katherine.