Chapter eight : Luther

Two weeks. Two weeks since he last saw her.

And it felt like his life was falling apart.

Tonight had been tough.
Some teenagers had came in and insisted on having drinks, alcoholic ones.

"I'm telling you, you need to have an id for me to give you anything in here."

They argued
"But I left it at home." said one of them. "Really? Do I look that young?" said another.

And yes. They all looked sixteen, if not younger.

"I'm really sorry but if I can't see your id you'll have to leave."
He informed them one last time.

"Fine then!" And they all left.

Not long after that he'd been called into his manager's office, which was upstairs.

He bit his nails as he walked up the stairs, had he done something wrong?

Was it because of the drinks he'd spilled last week? But that wasn't even his fault.

The bartender had decided to slap his behind that night, it wasn't unusual but it was sudden.

So it'd startled him, causing him to spill most of the drinks he was carrying.

'Not my fault.' he tried to calm himself.

He walked into the office with fake confidence, doing his best to hide whatever anxiety was in him in the moment.

"You wanted to see me, sir?"
He was met with the wrinkly face of his manager.

"Yes, Luther right? I heard you kicked out some people earlier tonight." Was this what this was about?

"Uh, yes sir, I believe they were underage, they didn't have any id so I didn't know what else to do." That was really the case.

"Has no one told you the way things go around here Luther?"
What did he mean by that?

"I thought they had. I could always learn more of course."
He waited.

"Everyone is a costumer in here, if they want something, you give it to them." "Sure you ask for id, for their age, but who cares if they lie? You're making money."
He looked really serious.

"But I thought-"
He cut him off, why did people always do that to him?

"I'm not paying you to think now am I? Your job is to look pretty and serve people. Not question them."

Rude.

"I'm sorry sir, I'll do better."

"Will you? Because I can't risk having called the police in here. Y'know how easily those cops can fuck me over?" "I gotta be careful." "And you weren't really careful today now were you?"

Shit.

Was he talking about firing him?

"Please sir, you can't fire me."
He begged, it was what he knew how to do best, even if it never worked.

"Oh I think I can. You go ahead and leave my bar, now." No.

"Please I don't have anywhere else to go, this is the only way I can make money."

He continued but nothing would have prepared him for what his manager would suggest next.

"If money's your problem" he began unbuttoning his shirt.

He'd seen that look before, the expression of lust.

"You could come here and we'll sort it out." His left his shirt alone and pated his lap. He smirked, and Luther thought he hadn't seen anything more disgusting in his whole life.

Luther was shocked. Maybe he misunderstood? He couldn't possibly be suggesting that.

"Excuse me?" He didn't believe it. No way.

"You either come here and make all the money you want. Or get the fuck out of my bar Luther."

Luther got the fuck out of the bar.

He cried. He'd just gotten fired from his job. His manager wanted.. he didn't even want to think about what his manager had wanted.

What was he going to do now? He'd scheduled an Uber for three am, which was hours from now. He couldn't reschedule.

But he knew he didn't need a ride, or to go home at all. He needed comfort.

And there was only one person that could fulfill that need.

Through his blurry vision he managed to call her. And he felt his stomach drop further and further as the seconds passed and she didn't pick up.

But then she did.

"Eve? I'm so sorry if I woke you up." What if she hangs up?

What if...

"No it's okay, what's wrong? Are you crying?" There wasn't any use denying it.

"Yeah, can you... I know you live near, can you please come pick me up?" "I'll explain everything then, I swear."

'Please say yes.'

"Of course Luther, of course. Are you at your job right now?"

That made him cry harder, but he answered.

"Yeah, I am, I'm outside."
He was sitting on the pavement now.

"Okay I'll be there in a minute, alright?"

"Alright "

He clang at the sound of her voice and held the phone tightly as he waited.

And then her voice was there, in front of him,
and she was there too.