Chapter twelve : Luther

They sat in silence for a moment, Luther sat on the kitchen countertop.

"What- what am I supposed to do with that Eve?" He took a deep breath and let the tears roll down his face.

"Oh no Luther, honey please don't cry" she went to cup his face with both hands but Luther was quick to stop her.

He sniffed his nose and rubbed his eyes, managing to only smudge his tears.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry honey" Eve's eyebrows knit together "God Luther your eyes are so red- I can go get you some water, what do you need?"

She was keeping her distance from him now, "No" "no Eve, what I need is for you to make up your mind because-" he broke down again, and continued after letting out some sobs.

"-because I can't, I can't do this, not anymore." He couldn't look at her even if he tried, his vision was blurry from the tears and the soft crimson colour around and inside them hadn't gone away.

"Just leave me alone" she didn't move "Please Eve I want to be alone for a little."

He only looked up to stare at Eve's back as she left. Part of him regretted that deeply.

He pushed his knees up to his chest and tucked his face in them as he began to cry once more.

It didn't last long, since he heard footsteps coming towards the room. "I told you to leave me alone Eve-" only it wasn't Eve.

"Luther, right?" it was Sofia.

"Um yeah" "What a good impression I've made huh?" Sofia got some snacks from a cabinet and began eating them.

"What do you mean?" she asked, her mouth half full with sweets.

"I don't even know you and yet here I am, sitting and crying my eyes out in your kitchen."

She climbed up on the kitchen table, now sitting face-to-face with Luther. "It's okay dude." "Here, d'you want some?" she threw him the m&ms she'd been holding.

"Sure, thanks."

He ate pretty much the whole thing of m&ms, the taste comforting his racing mind. "I think.. I think I might be drunk." "My head's spinning."

Then Luther watched as she moved to the side of the kitchen and then returned in frond of him holding a clear bottle.

Luther hadn't noticed most of it. She held the bottle closer to his mouth. "Come on now, drink up." She finally placed the bottle on his lips. When did she even open it?

"Noo I don't wan- mh-"
But he did drink it.

"It's just water. So drink up,
and sober up Luther." "Now, I can handle tears but don't you dare throw up on my floors."

She took the bottle away when Luther had drunk about half of the water inside. He hadn't noticed how thirsty be was until just then.

Maybe that water wasn't such a bad idea after all. "Mm, thank you, uh"
What was her name again?

"It's Sofia, and you didn't forget my name, Eve just never introduced me." "So, nice to meet you." She offered her hand, Luther shook it with his slowly.

"Thank you, Sofia, and I'm sorry for breaking down like that" "and for stepping on your countertop."

Sofia sat on the table again. "I told you it's fine mate, you're not the first to do that anyway."

Luther's head seemed to clear now. "What? Step on your counter?" but he wasn't exactly sober yet.

"No I meant the crying, I've hosted a lot of parties and let me tell you, you get lots of breakups in a house full of women."