Chapter thirteen : Eve

They were halfway through the ride when Luther spoke up.
"I just don't get it Eve." He'd drunk the rest of his water, so he was full on sober.

She sighed.
"What?"

Luther threw his arms in the air. "You brought me with you and now you're mad? It doesn't make sense."

"I'm not.. mad."  that couldn't be further from the truth, and she couldn't hide it.

"Oh I think you are, Eve." "But what I can't understand is why."
"Am I not allowed to make friends now?" 

Eve let out a bitter laugh.
"Friends? Like we are friends?" "Where you planning on doing the all-so friendly activities we've done with your new 'friends' too?"

She raised her voice.

"Yeah, Eve, maybe I was."

She wasn't as calm now, and Luther was acting like a straight up asshole. She tried to keep her temper.

.

.

"Are you jealous Eve?" She laughed once more.

"Are you kidding me Luther?" "Of course I'm fucking jealous."
She admitted,

the hard and unfortunate truth that Eve was ,in fact, jealous of her friends over Luther.

His hair was still messy from Jane's touch. And yes, she'd noticed it. Her eyes were stuck on Luther, even when he wasn't returning the glances.

"I am so jealous and I can't fucking stand seeing you, seeing them touch you like that." "First it was Liz and Donna."

She paused, not wanting to say the wrong thing.

"God knows what happened with Sofia after I left,"
"and then Jane.." "I. can't. stand it, Luther."

"Eve, listen I-"

Then suddenly,
the car stopped moving, but it wasn't her.

"What the fuck. Okay you're mad Eve but you shouldn't just stop like that it's fucking dangerou-"

"I didn't."

She looked down at the small gas sigh, it was bright red. "Shit." "Fuck Luther the gas." "How could I forget the damn gas?"

She hit her head on the steering wheel lightly a couple of times.

"It's okay Eve" he went to touch her, but decided to keep his hands to himself. Eve craved them dearly.

"I don't think so, Luther." "We're out of gas and we're stuck." "Do you know just how far away from the city we are?"

She was starting to panic.

"Uh, I don't know... very?"

"Yes, Luther, we're very fucking far away." She pulled some hair away from her face.

"Okay get out, let's try to at least push it to the side of the road." That they did.

When they were done and Eve's car was lying comfortably atop some grass and dirt, she wiped the droplets of sweat that had formed on her forehead.

"Alright, um, how about we go to the nearest town to stay the night? We can look for a gas station in the morning."

It didn't seem like a good idea, but it was the only option they had.

"Sure, let's do that."

It was well after one in the morning and without the city lights Eve could see Luther's face so clearly as the moon's brightness shone above them just right.