Chapter 2

Lexie

I felt my heart pounding out of my chest as I pulled along the sidewalk, noticing Maverick's black Ram parked in his driveway. I had no clue how he would react, but I had to see him.

I slowly made my way up the stairs before ringing the doorbell. A few moments later, the door opened and the smile that he had on his face was immediately wiped away.

"Lexie?"

"Hey."

"What are you doing here?"

"I just... came to talk."

"What is there to talk about?"

"Danny is leaving me."

"And that is my problem, why exactly?"

"Well, it's not. But I want to see our son."

"I know. But I truly do not want to be around you anymore, Lexie."

"Why?"

Maverick scowled. "Why? You know exactly why."

"Look, I messed up."

"You think? I really thought that I was ready to settle down with you. I really truly loved you, Lexie just to have you cheat on me with my father. You think that it is okay?"

"No."

"I think you should leave, Lexie."

"Mav, please... Can I come in? Just for a few minutes."

I could sense the hesitation in his voice before he responded. "Fine. You have five minutes."

"Thank you."

I followed him inside and saw Andrew sitting on the floor with some of his toys. "He's gotten big."

Maverick nodded. "He's 6."

"I missed out on a lot, Mav."

"That's not my fault, Lexie."

"It is when you took sole custody of him."

Maverick scowled. "If you think that you can switch moods on me right now, you can leave."

"N-no, I don't. I'm sorry, I've just had a lot going on. Since I told Danny that I was pregnant, he..."

"You're pregnant?"

"Yeah."

"Good for you. That's what you wanted, remember?"

"It's what I've dreamt of, but Danny just wanted something different."

"I have no interest in getting myself involved with your bullshit drama."

"I didn't ask, I was just saying. I just have a lot going on right now."

"Now you know how I felt after I found out about your dirty affair that you had behind your husband's back."

"Mav, I..."

"Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to raise our son by myself? I had to have my sister watch him almost every week because of my games but now that I retired, I have time to spend with him."

"You retired?"

"Yeah."

"What are you doing now?"

"I am a private investigator now."

"You are?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I am happy for you."

"Thanks."

"It seems like you have things lined up now."

"Yes, I do."

"Maverick, I really am sorry. I wish things could have worked out."

He scowled. "They would have. If you didn't fuck my dad and marry him but look how that has turned out. I really can't sympathize for you, karma is a bitch, and you honestly deserve what is happening."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

"I did nothing to you at the time to get cheated on. I did the best I could to be a good husband and a father, but I at least can say I succeeded at one thing."

"I was selfish, Maverick. We could have worked things out."

"You should go, Lexie."

"Maverick, please..."

"We could still be married, and I would've treated you like a queen, but you messed up and..." I noticed his eyes become glassy before he shut the front door. "Time's up."