Chapter 21

Anna

"So, how was last night?"

"Good."

Kara smiled and took a sip of her coffee. "Did you kiss him?"

"I wish, but no. I know what he is going through, and I really don't want to interfere with his personal life right now."

"Is he still dating that girl?"

"I guess so, yeah."

"I know you like him, Anna. Since day one."

"He is handsome, but I don't really want to tell him to be honest. He is going through too much at the moment and it just wouldn't be a good idea."

Kara shrugged. "You never know, Anna. He may end up liking you at some point. You've liked him for two years now, I think you should tell him."

"I can't. If he was single, I would think about it but... I just can't right now."

"Does he at least want to see you again?"

"I think so, but I really don't want to ask anything else of him. I don't need his girlfriend to attack me or something."

Kara rolled her eyes. "By the sounds of his girlfriend, she seems like a total loony tune. Do you think that he'll bring her to the party tonight?"

"What party?"

"Tyler and some of the guys planned a surprise party for Ethan for his retirement."

"Oh. But if I could take a guess, I suppose so."

"I'll be anxious to meet her."

"Trust me, you are in for a treat."

Kara laughed. "What are you going to do if she does come?"

"There's nothing I can do."

Maverick

Sophia turned into a complete bitch when I told her that I was going to the surprise party for Ethan. "And why do I have to come?"

"Because it would mean a lot. That's why. Go get dressed and please do me a favor."

"What?"

"Dress properly."

Sophia rolled her eyes and stomped upstairs. I really didn't care how pissed she was, I refused to have her stay home alone because I knew what she would do.

As she slammed my car door shut, I knew that tonight would be a long night. "Can you just at least act friendly?"

"Yeah, yeah."

After we had shortly arrived, Sophia had done the opposite of what I asked as she sat at one of the tables, her face buried in her phone. "Hey, Mav."

"Anna, hey. You look nice."

"Thank you. Is your girlfriend here?"

"Yeah, she's over there."

"I am going to go and introduce myself."

"Anna, you don't have to."

She shook her head. "Nonsense."

As she walked away, Kara looked at me and smiled. "She likes you by the way."

"What?"

"Anna likes you."

"She does?"

Kara nodded. "She has liked you since she started working here."

"I didn't know that."

"I am sure she'll be pissed if she finds out that I told you, but I figured that she most likely wouldn't tell you."