Chapter 7

Maverick

*** Five days later: "I am glad you were able to take the day off, Mav. You need a break."

"I know."

"When's mom coming?"

"She's supposed to be here soon. Nico stopped by the LEGO store at the mall."

"I really thank you for inviting us to his birthday party."

"Are you kidding? Why wouldn't I? I enjoy spending time with my family."

"And we enjoy spending time with you as well, Mav."

She placed Andrew's gift on the table and sat next to Derek, watching Drake and Bella playing with Andrew and Sophia.

"Andrew seems to like the babysitter."

"Yeah, he does."

Tyler smirked and grabbed a beer out of the fridge. "She's quite stunning, man."

"Yeah, she's pretty but I don't want a relationship, especially considering that I've had to deal with Lexie's desperation."

"She wants you back that much, eh?"

"Sadly, yeah."

"I don't want you to get hurt, man. Considering the whole dilemma with Lexie and Danny. They just..."

"Derek..."

He looked at Callie and shook his head. "Sorry. I know it's still a sensitive conversation."

My mother and Nico showed up around 6, Andrew immediately running up to them. "Happy birthday, buddy."

"Thank you!"

"Thank you for coming, guys."

Nico nodded. "I am quite excited to have Andrew open this. I'm sure he'll love it."

"Absolutely."

Sophia approached my family and smiled. "It's nice to meet you guys."

"Likewise!"

"Your kids are total sweethearts as well."

"Thank you, and I also thank you for taking care of my nephew. I definitely see us getting along very well."

"Daddy, can I open presents now?"

"Yes."

We all put Andrew's gifts on the carpet and sat on the couches, Sophia sitting next to me. Andrew opened Sophia's gift first and stood up and hugged her. "Daddy, look!"

"I know how much he likes cars."

"You didn't have to do that."

She smiled. "I know how much boys like RC cars."

After he opened all of the gifts and ate some cake, he sat on the floor, putting together the LEGO set that Nico bought. "That cake was delicious."

Sophia smiled. "Thank you, I enjoy baking."

Her phone rang and she excused herself. After being outside for almost 40 minutes, I saw her sitting on the porch swing, her face buried in her hands. Callie went outside and she hugged Sophia.

I opened the front door and looked at Sophia. "Is everything alright?"

She shook her head. "It's Noelle."

Andrew came outside and sat on Sophia's lap. "Thank you for the cake and present, Sophia."

"You're welcome, buddy."

"Babe, Bella and Drake are getting tired. We should head out."

Nodding, she stood up and hugged me. "Thank you for coming, Cal."

"Of course."

After everyone began to leave, Sophia was the only one left. I was taking care of the dishes, and she came downstairs. "I put Andrew to sleep."

"Oh, thank you."

Nodding, she put her shoes on and grabbed her keys. I put the last dish in the dishwasher and entered the living room. "You didn't tell me what was going on."

I noticed tears slide down her cheeks and she suddenly hugged me. "I got a phone call from Carson."

"Is she okay?"

She shook her head. "I need to go, I'll call you tomorrow."