Chapter 16

Maverick

I woke up at 5:15 and made myself some breakfast and before I left, I usually made Sophia breakfast to warm up but at this point, she was a big girl. She was capable of doing things by herself.

After I shortly arrived at work, I received a call from Callie. "Cal, why are you up so early?"

"Figured I would go to Planet Fitness for an hour or so. Are you still coming for dinner tonight?"

"Yes, I am."

"Bringing Sophia too?"

"I have no choice. But I am going to look through some of her records. I know it is invading her privacy, but I need to know if she is hiding something from me."

"Honestly, I would too but have a good day at work, Mav. See you tonight."

As usual, Tyler was sitting at his desk as I entered the building. "Hey, man."

"Morning. You look tired."

"Couldn't really sleep that much."

"Because of Sophia?"

"I really thought that she was sincere. But I guess I was wrong."

My phone rang and I saw Lexie's number on my screen. "Why the hell is Brea calling you?"

I shrugged and accepted the call. "Hello?"

"Morning, Mav."

"What's up?"

"Are you at work right now?"

"Umm yeah, why?"

I sensed a tone of irritation and hesitation in her voice. "Can I stop by really quick?"

"I don't think that's a good..."

"Please, Mav. It's important."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yeah, I am. It is really important."

"Alright."

"Thank you, be there in 15."

Lexie hung up and I put my phone on my desk. "What's wrong?"

"Lexie is stopping by."

"Why?"

"I have no idea."

"Morning, guys!"

Anna approached us with three cups of coffee in a carrying tray. "Morning, Anna. Why are you here so early?"

She smiled and placed the Dunkin' Donuts cup on our desks. "I know you guys like your coffee, so I figured it's on me this morning. You both prefer iced, so I made sure I got it."

"Thanks, Anna but you didn't have to."

"Well, you've seemed a little stressed lately. Is everything already, Maverick?"

"Yeah, I'm alright. I..."

I received a text from Lexie saying that she was here. "I'll be right back."

I went outside and saw Lexie standing next to her Elantra. "Morning."

"How's my father?"

"Not good. He's been cheating on me and I just..." She shook her head. "Never mind."

"Tell me."

"I was going to break the news to Danny, but I had some bad news from the doctor in terms of my pregnancy."

"Which is?"

Lexie shook her head. "I lost them."

I could sense the pain on Lexie's face, and I did truly feel bad. "I'm sorry to hear that."

She nodded and briefly hugged me. "Thank you."

"So, is that why you're here?"

Lexie shook her head. "That's not the only thing. The second thing is although I don't want to start issues between you and your girlfriend, I am asking for you to do me a favor and tell her to stop contacting him."

"What?"

"Sophia. She's messaging Danny."

"Are you kidding me?"

She shook her head. "I am not."

"Well, I do sincerely thank you for telling me, Lexie."

"You're welcome. So, do you maybe have plans later?"

I looked at her wedding band and nodded. "I'm going to Callie's."

"Oh, can we come?"

"No. You know what will happen between you and Callie."

"Well, can I at least see Andrew this weekend? Please?"

"Is that what you want? Or are you just asking so you can sleep with me?"

Lexie chuckled. "Not at all. I just want to see our son. Maybe we can get ice cream and go to the playground or something, I just am stressed out now since I found that out and I just want to spend some time with Andy, Mav. Please?"

"If you even try to slightly flirt with me, I am calling it off. But yeah, you can."

Lexie smiled and hugged me. "Thank you! Oh, I have something for Andrew." She opened her car door and handed me a bag. "I got him a Stars jersey."

"Lex, are you serious?"

"And here's the catch." She took the jersey out of the bag and handed it to me. "It's your authentic home jersey."

"Where'd you get it?"

"NHL Shop."

"I could've given him one of my worn ones."

She smiled. "It's okay and I also have a matching one."

"Why?"

"Because Cameron likes hockey. I mean, I know that you don't play anymore but maybe if you went to a game, we would LOVE to come."

"I'd have to think about that."

"Of course! Have a good day!"

"You can give this to him this weekend."

She nodded. "Sounds good!"

After she left, I questioned if she was being truly sincere or putting on an act for me, hoping that I would fall for it.