Chapter 20

Maverick

*** The next day: After I took Andrew to Callie's, I was immediately hit with questions. "Who are you going to dinner with?"

"Anna."

Callie raised her eyebrows. "To do what exactly?"

"It's not like that."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

Callie smiled. "Well, I am happy for you. I like her a lot more than Sophia."

"I know you do."

"Have fun! Let me know how it goes."

After I left Callie's, I drove to Longhorn Steakhouse, waiting for Anna's arrival. As she entered the restaurants, I was truly stunned looking at how nicely her dark denim jeans fit her slender legs and the fit of her flannel hanging loose from her shoulders. "Hey."

"Hi. You look... nice."

She smiled and tucked a strand of blond hair behind her ear. "Thank you. I can say the same. I am not used to seeing you without a uniform, the look fits you."

"Thanks, Anna."

After we ordered our food and it arrived, I felt quite comfortable talking to Anna. She really seemed to not be judgmental, she was a good listener, sincere, qualities that I have been truly wanting from a girl. "So, do you think you'll stay with your girlfriend?"

"I don't know, she's just been acting so differently and the way that she can just easily lie to me when I know the truth really hurts."

"Does your son like her?"

"Very much, that's what is making me overthink things. I like giving second chances, but I have gotten hurt from my last two relationships and I just... I can't deal with another heartbreak."

Anna smiled and placed her hand on mine. "Well, I am here for you regardless."

"I really appreciate it." I looked at my watch, noticing that it was almost 8:30. "I should get going. I need to get Andrew."

"Of course." As Anna grabbed her wallet out of her purse, I shook my head.

"It's on me tonight."

"Oh, that's not necessary."

"Nonsense." I grabbed my wallet out of my jean pocket and slid cash in the envelope. "Let's get out of here, shall we?"

She nodded. "Yes."

As we went to our cars, she leaned against her door and smiled. "I had fun tonight. Thank you."

"I did as well."

"We should, you know... do this again."

"I'd like that."

"I am here for you, Maverick. Just know that."

"Thanks, Anna."

After we parted ways, I drove to Callie's, dreading the fact that I had to see Sophia again. "How was dinner?"

"Really good."

"Did you guys, you know..."

"No."

Callie smirked. "Not yet. Just give it some time."

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed Andrew's toys and opened the car door for him. "Night, sis."

"Night, Mav."

I questioned what type of mood Sophia would be in, but I am sure that as long as she has my father wrapped around her finger that she'd be in a good mood.

Sophia was sitting in bed, not surprisingly using her cellphone. "Where were you?"

"Dinner."

"Ah, are you sure about that?"

"I am positive."

Sophia rolled her eyes and put her phone on the nightstand. "I am sure that is exactly what you did."

"I wouldn't lie to you, Sophia. Ever."

"I would hope not."

"I am sure you have plenty of guys lined up, right?"

"Excuse me?"

Shaking my head, I turned my back towards her and shut the light off. "Night."