Illicit Affairs- Dreamnotfound

CW: semi-public car sex, crying during sex (very little)

Plot: George has stepped away from a friends with benefits situation-ship he has been exploring with his best friend to allow himself to heal, and he thinks it's working so far. Surely it has to be working, because everyone tells him it should be working, and he's starting to believe it may work for himself! Then he gets a text.

(This is gonna be a rewrite of another story from one of my other one shot books with a different ending cause I didn't like the way I ended it)

~
Third Person POV.

"So it's been a month, how are you feeling?," Karl asks as he falls into the couch.

"Better," George tells him as he follows him into the living room of their shared dorm.

"Oh thank god, I'm so glad we're done with that whole thing," Karl says as he pulls his phone from his back pocket. "Now we can all go back to hanging out as friends without it being awkward when you two are fighting,"

"Yeah," George mumbles his agreement, his eyes trained on the floor as he walks into the living room, flicking on the lights. His chest heavy, as if someone was constantly pushing down on the centre of his ribs. Right above his heart.

"What? You aren't glad?" Karl asks with a small chuckle as he texts someone on his phone. George remains silent. His lack of an answer a clear enough answer for Karl to put his phone down. "You really aren't glad?" He asks carefully.

"No! I am," George half heartedly defends as he sits down on the single seater couch beside Karl. "I...it was just nice while it lasted, y'know?"

"Yeah," Karl nods slowly, clearly gathering his thoughts together. "When you were with him, when things were good, it was the happiest I had seen you in a long time," he explains, making George's heart ache at the memory of it. When things were good. "But when things were bad..." he trails off.

"When things were bad, what?" George urges.

"I have known you your whole life, George, but I have never seen you as...as heart broken as when you and him were fighting," Karl explains. "And you weren't even actually dating!"

"Yeah, I guess," George murmurs.

"It may not feel like it now, but this is for the better," Karl assures as he reaches across the short distance between two couches to hold George's hand comfortingly with a warm smile. "It just hurts because it's fresh,"

"Yeah, okay," George breathes out, straightening his posture. "You're right,"

"You wanna watch a movie?" Karl offers. "One with a happy ending?"

"Yes please," he gives the taller boy a tight lipped smile before adjusting his seating. He swings his legs over the arm rest, his phone resting in his hands where they're on his lap.

Karl pulls up 'The Princess Bride', pressing play as George's phone buzzes in his hands. He picks it up quicker than he's willing to admit, the notification from some mobile app popping up. Breathing out heavily in disappointment, he swipes the notification away.

He endures the wonderfully cheesy movie. The ironic or funny lines making him chuckle as he watches absentmindedly, the distraction doing well for his heart ache.

It wasn't gone, but it lessened. Maybe he would be okay, he thought as they escaped the castle. Maybe he could get through this with his friends helping him through it. They had done it before, surely they could do it again. Maybe he could live with it, he thought as the end credits appeared. Maybe he could feel better, he considered as Karl announced he was going to bed. Maybe the pain in his chest would lessen. Maybe he would be able to move on from Dre—