Chapter 13

Featured Song: "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

• • • •

Three weeks passed, and soon the spring formal was here and in full swing. Walking down the dimly lit hallway, Graham squeezed my hand as we walked into the school gym. I was expecting people to stare or at least whisper, "Why is Andrea Wilson with popular football player Graham Shaw?" But no one did or at least cared enough to do so.

The dance committee decorated the inside of the school gym to look like a magical garden. There were colorful fairy lights strung around the whole gym, along with flowers.

When Graham paid the ticket entrance, Cassie rushed over toward us and threw her around me, practically knocking me to the gym floor in the process.

"I can't believe you came, Andi. I didn't think you were going to, oh my God, you're the best!" She squealed.

"Hey, what about me?" Graham asked and put a hand over his heart. "You wound me, Cassie Lee."

We all doubled over in fits of laughter.

"Come on, let's dance because, after all, this is a school dance," Cassie said, pulling Graham and I to the dance floor with the other students.

Graham pulled me close to him, and I wrapped my arms around his neck while he wrapped his arms around my waist. I breathed in the scent of his cologne, smelling of cherry blossoms mixed with vanilla.

"Oh my God, Andi, look!" I pulled away from Graham and saw Cassie pointing towards someone over by the punch bowl. It was Dancia.

"Well, go talk to her, Cass. I know you want to," I told Cassie and saw her shake her head.

"No, I can't." Cassie said, "What if she doesn't want to talk to me."

"You'll never know 'till you try, Cassie," I told her. "Now, be brave and walked over there and talk to Dancia."

I watched as Cassie took a deep breath and walked over to Dancia. I smiled to myself because I knew how much Cassie liked her.

"That's sweet how much you care for her, Andi," Graham told me.

Instead of responding, I grabbed his hand and started walking out of the gym into the hallway. "Graham, there's something I need to tell you," I said.

"Okay, what's up?" Graham asked, and I stopped walking, turning around to face him. "You can tell me anything." His eyes were filled with curiosity—his beautiful brown eyes.

Okay. Here goes—the truth. I took a deep breath and said, "I know this is going to sound bizarre, but listen, okay." I told him, and he nodded. "I'm a witch, and my mother is a witch too. But I don't mean I like dressing up as a witch for Halloween. I mean, an actual witch with magical powers."

I stopped talking to see his expression. He's still staring, and his hands are still holding mine, but he's still dead silent. Taking another deep breath, I continued, "If it makes you feel any better, Cassie knows. She's known since we were babies; her mother and mine were best friends in college."

Graham's eyes never left mine–still staring dead at me.

"I know you probably need proof, so here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to turn my dress a darker shade of blue," I said, "Are you ready?"

His hands were still holding mine. He nodded his head.

I softly began to chant:

"Like dark becomes light,
And old becomes new
Please make my after school party dress
Become midnight Cinderella blue!"

A sudden rush of cold air made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, then zap! The current color from my dress faded, making my dress snow-white, as the new color started taking effect. Graham's jaw dropped, and his eyes widened.

"I know bizarre, huh," I told him.

He nodded and opened his mouth to say something but decided to close it. His hands never let go of mine.

"Graham, are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded his head again, looking dazed.

"And I want to mention that I like you too," I added, "Because I do."

He opened his mouth, attempting to say something again.

"What, Graham?" I asked, my heart beating rapidly in my chest. "Please say something. Please."

"Well, I know I'm in shock," he said, "and I know I'll need time to absorb everything you told me, but all I keep thinking is, She likes me too!"

My heart soared. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said, looking at my outfit. "But I will have more questions for you tomorrow, Cinderella." his eyes moved away from my dress and lands on my face, and I started to blush.

Graham cupped my face with his hands and continued, "I knew there was something magical about you, Andi, and now I know." he brought my face closer to his and kissed me.

As we kissed, I swear I could hear fireworks going off in the background, which would be the perfect ending for the start of the perfect new beginning.