Perspective

Mary

When you're growing up, your folks warn you about a boy breaking your heart. They never tell you about the heartbreak you get from your best friends.

Morgan and Amber were my ride-and-die friends. We had each other's backs no matter what. Now, both were suffering from heartaches.

Morgan was grieving the loss of her momma while Amber was trying to survive a hellish nightmare. Here I was, moaning over the bicycle, kissing Beau. I'm not saying it's right. But when you take a step back, you realize what happened to me was nothing compared to Morgan and Amber's situation.

We climbed into the cars and trucks and hightailed it to Morgan and Hank's place. Shep and Maury drove to town to grab a couple of cases of beer before heading to Morgan and Hank's.

We arrived, exited the vehicles, and headed into the house. The front door crashed against the wall when I flung it open. Hank and Morgan snapped their heads at us. A smirk grew on my lips as I strolled into the house and plopped down in a chair. Beau lifted me from my spot, took my spot, and set me on his lap.

Patsy didn't get a chance before Waylon pulled her into his lap.

"What are you doing here?" Morgan asked.

"I can't let my fellow musketeer suffer in silence, now can I?" I asked.

Morgan gave me a sideways glance. "I know that look."

I gave Morgan a mischievous smile.

Shep and Maury arrived with two cases of beer. They joined us as we started drinking. We can kill two birds with one stone. Cheer up, Morgan, and piss off Old Man Gilroy.

******
Morgan

Every time Mary shows up at my house with beer, it means she's up to something. At this point, I didn't care what Mary had planned. I wanted to forget my troubles for one night.

Mary, Patsy, and I cracked open our beers and drank them before starting another one. The guys nursed their first one.

"What do you girls have planned?" Waylon asked us.

"Nothing a few beers can't help us achieve. You boys take your time," Mary said.

"Why does beer go down so well?" Patsy asked.

"Because it's beer. It always goes down well when you're pissed off," Mary told her.

"Yeah, true." Patsy shrugged and drank her beer.

Mary belched after finishing her second beer. She grabbed another one and opened it. Patsy and I weren't far behind her and opened our third one.

"Is it wise to let the girls drink so much?" Maury asked.

"Maury, it's best to let the girls drink," Shep said.

I had a slight buzz happening during my third beer. "I wanted to ask you a question, Maury."

Maury looked at me with raised brows. "Okay."

"Why did you ask me out if you're gay?"

The guys stared at me with narrowed eyes.

"Excuse me?" Maury asked me.

I stood up while Hank tried to get me to sit down. I slapped his hands away and sauntered toward Maury with determination. I looked more like a newborn filly trying to get their bearings. "You asked me to hang out in high school. But you make no sense." I shook my head. "You're gay!"

"I only wanted to hang out as friends. You misinterpreted the meaning behind me asking you."

"So, you never had a thing for me?" I cocked my head with my hands on my waist.