Two for the price of one

Mary

Patsy and I showered and changed our clothes. We opted for jeans, flannels, and boots. There's no reason to get gussied up for a rickety bicycle and squeaky training wheel.

By the time we finished, Grayson had returned home, and Morgan arrived with Shep. Morgan flew into Hank's arms and hugged him. I didn't blame her after dealing with a rat.

"Morgan, why don't you take a shower and freshen up before dinner?" Ma suggested.

Morgan looked at me. "Can I borrow some clothes?"

"Do you even need to ask?" I arched my brow.

"I guess not." Morgan smiled and hugged me before heading upstairs.

Patsy, Morgan, and Amber never have to ask if they can borrow my clothes. They were welcome to my closet if they needed clothes.

"Mary, help me with dinner," Ma said.

I nodded and helped Ma whip together supper for everyone. Beau and Waylon were having supper at Papaw and Meemaw's house since Papaw and Pa were there. Plus, Meemaw can't cook.

"What's that look for?" Ma asked me.

"How come Meemaw can't cook?" I asked.

"Ember isn't good around a stove. Amy spent more time learning how to cook than Ember did. She also had trouble with food."

I nodded in understanding. Meemaw had suffered from an eating disorder during her teen and young adult years. She spent time in the hospital while pregnant with Pa to get help. Our grandparents and folks made sure food wasn't an issue with the girls in the family.

We whipped dinner together while the others set the table and brought drinks to it. We would need a hearty meal if we would deal with the bicycle and training wheel. You never know when you'll need rope to help you.

We sat around the table, passed food dishes around, and discussed this evening. We wanted to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Ma even threw in her two cents. "Your plan sounds good. But I think you need some guidance."

"What do you mean?" Hank asked.

Ma just smiled.

"Knock, knock. Anyone home?" Aunt Cass asked through the screen door.

"We're in the kitchen having supper, Cass," Ma said.

Aunt Cass entered, walked over to Patsy, and hugged her.

"Pull up a chair and join us." Ma smiled.

"With pleasure." Cass sat in a chair beside Ma.

Hank grabbed Cass a plate and silverware and handed it to her.

"Thank you, darlin." Aunt Cass took the plate and filled it with food before she started eating. "So, your momma said you have this plan to help Amber."

We nodded in response.

"The plan is good, but it needs a better execution." Cass shoveled food into her mouth.

"What's wrong with our plan?" Grayson asked.

"Oh, sweetheart, that bicycle and training wheel will see it coming a mile away when the girls arrive. Let the pros handle it." Aunt Cass winked and smiled.

Something told me our plan got an upgrade.

******
Cassidy