CH7: First Impressions (prt 5)

By the time he was summoned back to Kurono's office later in the day, he had finally accomplished his seemingly near impossible task of getting settled in. And then after that there were a few classes Bruce attended and introductions were made, all of which made him feel as out of place as ever. But he persevered and managed to keep to himself while earning few odd looks every now and then.

"So I take it you find your dorm comfortable enough?" Kurono asked.

As she spoke, Bruce took the moment to look around her office, particularly at the various trophies and picture frames that were aligned along the top of a shelf. Kurono didn't seem to mind his somewhat distant behavior.

"Comfortable enough." Bruce confirmed with a nod. "I know that these rooms are intended for two people but please, no roommates. I'd rather have my privacy."

Kurono snickered with amusement.

"I can't change every rule for you, Wayne. But you're in luck. Until we have any more adult fugitives passing themselves off as students, that room is all yours."

He nodded in thanks and went back to looking at the trophies. With all subjects of small-talk exhausted, Kurono took a breath and prepared to get to the reason behind his summoning.

"Anyway, I called you because I wanted to offer another proposal. As you might know, every year all the seven major Chivalry schools select candidates to participate in the Seven Star Sword Art Festival. This year, we're organizing our own series of Selection Battles to allow every student a fair chance to compete. While the Selection Battles are already underway, it's not too late for you to-"

"Not interested." Bruce abruptly cut her off.

She was caught slightly off-guard but didn't let it deter her.

"Don't be so quick to decide. Think about it, it's an excellent opportunity for you to showcase your skills and being part of the festival is a huge honor."

Bruce turned towards her and his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Is this the real reason why you brought me here? So I can win some competition for you?"

Kurono's expression turned livid, feeling offended that he'd suggest such a thing.

"Now you're being ridiculous! It's nothing like that! I'm only suggesting it because I believe the most effective way for you to discover your abilities is to put yourself in an actual combat scenario. The Selection Battles would give you the perfect chance for this."

Bruce approach her desk, his eyes remained narrowed as he asked one question in mind.

"Are these battles mandatory for me to graduate?"

Hagun's Director was still for a second before responding in a slight defeated voice.

"No. It's completely optional."

"Then you know my answer. My decision stands."

Kurono sighed but nodded.

"I see. Well, that's unfortunate but I won't force you. But let me know if you're reconsidering."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He stood in front of a dorm door like he did in the morning, only now thankfully it was his own room. Despite being positively sure he was at the correct door and had the correct key, he couldn't help but feel a little hesitant; almost fearful that once he opens that door, he was going to get thrown into another embarrassing situation. After shaking off his senseless thought he opened the door but before he could enter, a voice called to him.