CH14: Accept Fate (prt 6)

"I don't understand this world. I don't think I ever will."

Young Bruce stood where his nightmares usually lead him, in the middle of a dark cavern. Darkness surrounded him, stalactites loomed over him and he could feel the chill from the ground even through his shoes.

"I don't know if this part of my own magic or am I having some kind of psychotic break. But regardless, our mission remains the same." the boy spoke in a tone and demeanor that didn't belong to his age.

The boy turned his steely eyes towards the other presence in the cave.

"But we're going to have to make some changes."

A black monstrous shape towered over him, resting on its protruding thumb-claws and its wings folded up like a sharp switch blade. The bat surged at the boy with a snarl, eyes and maw like red pits, but young Bruce wasn't fazed this time because he knew that what he was facing was something he was all too familiar with.

"To be the Batman..." Bruce spoke, looking straight into the creature's eyes. "Is a precarious balancing act. I molded you out of the festering rage left by my parents' murder and as much as it burdens me, I still NEED you: I need your hatred to give me strength, to strike fear in my enemies, to keep me going. But you need me to keep you in check, to remind you that there's a line we don't DON'T cross."

The bat hissed in a begrudging manner and then noticed Bruce turning his gaze elsewhere and followed it to find, much to its displeasure, the third presence in the cave.

"And now, we need you."

Standing there, sharp red slits for eyes staring at them coldly, was the large shadowy raven.

"We need your power to do what is necessary. In return, as long as it's on my terms,...I can give you resolution."

At Bruce's last words, the gigantic bird cocked its head towards him curiously.

"The flames, it stirs something in you, doesn't it?" the boy asked.

A fiery border suddenly ignited between them and spread around the cave, turning their surroundings into the burning town Bruce had seen before. The raven looked around and squatted defensively. Bruce knew this wasn't just something related to fire, he had been around it plenty of times and felt no reaction. It was something to do with Stella's flames, something related to her power.

"Fear? A thirst for vengeance perhaps? I don't know the history behind the sword or it's original owner or why the people who brought me here want it so badly but I do know that something horrible happened to her a long time ago and I'll do everything in my power to find out what it is."

The bat behind him screeched furiously in protest.

"I know." Bruce responded as if he understood it. "The balancing act will be much harder from here on out. If I'm not careful, I can easily topple over the edge."

Young Bruce's gaze dropped in a contemplative manner, grasping the fact the he really was at the threshold with a choice before him. It was a decision which he might later regret but there was no going back now.

"But for the sake of the mission, if the two of you are willing to co-exist then I'm willing to take the responsibility. Are we in agreement?"

The two giant shadow entities glared at each other, looking like they were about to attack again until finally they gave a short nod.

"Then let's get to work."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------