Chapter O5W: Lumina

"Date! How did you-"

Pewter stands in the control room in disbelief, having just witnessed a Psync without his help. Date gets off the Psyncer's chair and helps Weronica stand. They head up the stairs into the control room.

"You're late" Date says.

"How did you operate the Psync Machine without me?" Pewter asks. "Was it you?" He asks Mizuki.

"Yeah, don't you know I'm a genius?" Mizuki answers.

"I had help from someone named Lumina" Date explains. "Where is she, anyway?"

"There is no one else here but us" Pewter says.

"I didn't see anyone else here either" Mizuki adds.

"So how did she start the Psync?" Date's eyes widen.

"Perhaps there is a clue in one of the computers" Pewter says, going to one of the computers.

"So, how are you feeling?" Date asks Weronica in the meantime.

"A lot better now" Weronica answers. "Got my memories back, too, I think. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, at least."

"That's good to hear" Mizuki says.

"Still..." Weronica says. "What Neo said at the hospital really pisses me off! I'm useless to her? Like hell they can perform without me!"

"H-hey, calm down..." Mizuki says.

"Oh... My bad" Weronica calms down. "Sorry, didn't mean to snap like that. I'm still pissed, but I gotta stay calm right now."

"So what are you gonna do now?" Date asks.

"I'm going back to the hotel room to tell 'em the news" Weronica answers. "I'm also gonna give Neo a piece of my mind!"

"Are you gonna need a ride back?" Date asks.

"Nah, I'll be fine" Weronica says. "Thanks again for everything." Weronica leaves the control room, leaving Date, Mizuki, Aiba, and Pewter in the control room. Pewter continues looking at the computer.

"Ah!" Pewter yells. Date and Mizuki turn to see a black screen on the computer.

"Hello?" The computer says.

That voice...!

"Oh good, you're all here" Lumina says through the computer.

"You're the hacker!" Pewter says. "But wait, none of the cybersecurity systems are detecting any anomalies!"

"It's a little more complicated than that" Lumina says. "I'm broadcasting from within the Wadjet system, so I'm not technically hacking."

"Just who are you...?" Pewter asks.

"Call me Lumina?" Lumina answers.

"Lumina?" Mizuki asks. "I think I've heard that name before."

"You have?" Lumina asks.

"Oh yeah, Iris told me about her once" Mizuki says. "Iris says you're a 'Vee-Tuber.'"

"That's right" Lumina says. "I'm pretty flattered that Tesa knows about me. I've heard of her as well. Ooh, what if I ask her for a collab? The viewer count would be astronomical!"

"Is this really the time for this?" Date asks.

"Why are you contacting us?" Pewter asks. "And how did you get access to the Wadjet system?"

"I'm here to explain everything" Lumina answers. "I did promise Kaname Date that I would explain everything after the Psync."

"That includes how you hacked us, I assume?" Pewter asks.

"As I said already, I didn't really hack you guys" Lumina explains. "The Wadjet system let me in for some reason. I didn't even have to try to get in here!"

Date turns to Pewter.

"Don't look at me!" Pewter says. "I do not know why that happened either. On that note, how did you start the Psync Machine?"

"I started it remotely" Lumina answers. "I can access all of the controls thanks to the Wadjet system taking me in."

"Is that how you knew where to guide us?" Date asks.

"That's right!" Lumina answers. "I've been keeping tabs on your investigation, and whenever you seemed stuck, I used the Wadjet system to formulate a plan to help you progress. For example, when you needed tickets to the Happy Around vs Abyssmare concert, I looked up recent buyers and picked the one most likely to let go of their tickets. I calculated that Moma Kumakura would be the one most likely to give up his ticket to you. After all, he helped you out during the Cyclops case."

"That is confidential information!" Pewter chimes in.

"What part of 'The Wadjet system let me in' don't you understand?" Lumina asks. "That means I have access to all of ABIS's servers."

"What's you end goal?" Date asks. "You said only Aiba and I could help you. What did you mean by that?"

"There's two reasons only you two can help" Lumina answers. "The first is that you and Aiba were already investigating Abyssmare. That's pretty convenient already. The second is that you have access to the Psync Machine."

"What do you need the Psync Machine for?" Pewter asks.

"I'm trying to find out more about my past" Lumina answers. "I've been digging around the internet for some time now, but I can't seem to find anything. I thought I'd find the answers within the Wadjet system, but even that has no information on me. I did recently find a clue, though. I found an old server in America and it seemed to imply that I have some special connection to Neo. I can't seem to remember why or how, but maybe there's a clue in her Somnium."

"Why not just ask her directly?" Date asks.

"I tried" Lumina says. "She says she doesn't know me."

"And why not try your Somnium?" Pewter asks.

"Well..." Lumina hesitates. "That's not really possible."

"Why not?" Pewter asks.

"Because-" Lumina is cut off.

"Lumina?" Date yells.

Aiba. What just happened?

"It appears connection to Lumina has been forcefully cut."

But how?

"I do now know" Pewter says. "Allow me to check the logs." Pewter checks the computer. He opens up various files and quickly scans through them. "It is not our antivirus program" Pewter says. "The Wadjet system did not disconnect her either. Whatever caused her to disconnect was on her end."

"Were you able to track her location?" Date asks.

"She did not have any location data" Pewter answers.

Damn it! We were so close to getting answers.

"We can always wait for her to contact us again."

Doesn't seem like we have a choice...

"I'm sorry" Pewter says. "If only I'd gotten here sooner..."

"It's not your fault" Date says. "Let's just wait for her to contact us again. Let's call it a night for now."

Date and Mizuki leave while Pewter stays behind, desperately trying to restore their connection. He eventually gives up and heads home.