Chapter 6

"Get up Sam. Don't be so fucking weak"

Samira lay on the grass, her face covered in scuff marks, her knees bruised and her knuckles bloody. She didn't want to get up. Her body was sore. Her muscles were aching. Her bones were groaning with effort.

She just stared up at the sky, watching the clouds drift above her. She wished she was a cloud. She wished she could do nothing but float in the sky all day—

She heard the crack of her fathers whip...a sound that haunted her dreams...her thoughts. She shot to her feet on instinct, fearful that he may use it on her again.

"Good, now back to work. One hundred punches or else you get no dinner tonight" he cracked the whip again, and Samira knew it was just to intimidate her. He only ever used it when she didn't get up. And so she punched the wooden pole in front of her.

Ten times...twenty times...the skin on her knuckles was stripped down to muscle at forty. Her legs gave way at fifty. And she lay back on the ground where she once was before she even got to sixty.

She couldn't do it. Her body couldn't keep up. She couldn't keep up. Her father was trying to make her stronger and she was failing.

"Get up Sam..."

She was trying. Her body was moving...only it wasn't. An invisible force of her own fatigue was holding her down and she couldn't fight it. She let that tiredness overtake her body. She embraced it. Welcomed the darkness that came with it with open arms.

Only she wasn't training. Her father wasn't with her...and she wasn't ten years old anymore.

"GET UP SAMIRA"

She jolted upright...awaking with a desperate gasp for breath. Her chest heaved, and her head barked in pain with a raging headache that felt like someone was taking a hammer to her skull.

"Agh...what the fuck..." Her mind was in a complete haze. She felt so dizzy she thought she might throw up as she felt bile rise to her
throat...but then it hit her.

The memories of earlier flooded her brain like a tidal wave. The Nomu. When she had turned its body to stone. When she saved Bakugo's life...

"Hey!"

Samira snapped her head to the side at the sound of a familiar voice. An angry, irritated sounding voice.

Great.

Her gaze locked on Bakugo who was standing beside her, looking down at her with a strange look in his crimson eyes. Samira blinked at him, and it was then that she realized she was lying on an ambulance stretcher as she sat herself up straight.

"Bakugo...what the hell happened?"

God...we're her friends okay. She couldn't remember a damn thing.

"The Nomu...Aizawa and Izuku—"

Her voice was frantic, and Bakugo held up his hands to calm her down.

"Would you slow down, Jesus. They're all fine. The Nomu is still frozen in place right where you left it" he grumbled, drinking from a bottle of water in his hand.

Thank the gods...everyone was okay.

"What happened to me?" She asked, looking up at him. His throat bobbed as he swallowed the water in his mouth, an uneasy sort of look on his face.

Was that...worry she saw on his features?

"You blacked out after turning that monster to stone. Medics said you overused your quirk or something"