Chapter 6

That was the last time, Marinette saw Adrien.

After that, she was only receiving letters from him. She figured that her father must have talked to him about refraining from visiting her until she felt like it. Considering he is the crown prince, her father would have requested him though his letters are making him sound desperate.

Marinette let out a small laugh and mumbled to herself "I guess you are scared that you are going to lose a powerful pawn huh..."

When Marinette was first back into this time of life, she was scared to death because of him but now the situation has slowly settled in and she has realized her position, that where she stands.

She stands as the only daughter of the most powerful duke of the Empire, the Duke who can even rival the Emperor's power.

It is a known fact that most of the aristocrats and commoners prefer her father more. Her father has that kind of image, he with his hard work, talent, and personality of respecting everyone no matter what their origin was brought him to this glory and power.

If the royal family and dukedom ever go against each other, then it will be the dukedom who will win. It has the strength to win on its own and if needed, even great support as well.

Because of this very reason, the current emperor, Gabriel Grasette Agreste, proposed the engagement between her and the crown prince when they were quite young. And that's why Adrien is so scared of losing his pawn because that will make things difficult for him in the future. If he has her, he has the dukedom because there is no other heir or relative to act as the head of the dukedom.

If she remembers right, the Emperor proposed to get them engaged when she was just 5 years old but her father had protested against it, saying that they were too young at that time.

But the Emperor kept pushing and pushing and at last, prepared a royal notice which her father couldn't even refuse and they got engaged when they were 10 years old.

6 years...

Almost, 6 years it has been since they were engaged but that's true for this timeline and life.

In the previous life, she was engaged to him for 12 years.

She came of age when she turned 18. She believed that's when they were going to get married but Adrien pushed it off. Suggesting that they should wait till they were complete adults by 21.

In this empire, the age of 18 is considered as the age when the person has finally started becoming an adult and 21 is the age, considered as the age when they are complete adults. Between the ages of 18 and 21, the person has only partial rights to everything. Big decisions still required parent's permission.

When she turned 21, she thought finally it was the time but Adrien again pushed it off, this time saying that he needed more time.

And she blindly believed him... again.

She was so madly in love with him that she believed everything that he said and believed every one of his lousy excuses and lies because she thought that in the end, he would finally be hers.

That belief got her to be murdered by him when she was 22.

Question, why would Adrien murder her if she was such an important pawn in his game?

Because he got an even better pawn to replace her-

"My lady?"

Marinette looked at the source of the voice, standing at the door, staring at the disaster that she had yet again created.

"Yes, nanny?" Marinette said.

Nanny Julia settled her gaze on Marinette "I was wondering if you would like to go out for a walk in the mansion? You must be feeling a little suffocated"