Chapter 5: There Are Others

Morning [7:16 am]
Wednesday

   My alarm goes off when I slam my hand down on top of it, crushing it with the side of my fist. I turned over and notice the now broken alarm clock sitting on my nightstand. "Great..." I mumbled into my pillow. After another minute or so I finally decide to get up and get dressed.

   I stretched out my arms and legs before walking over to my dresser. I take out a pair of ripped black jeans, a white t-shirt, and my shirt plaid black and white button up. I lay them on the bed and go brush my teeth. I wash off my face and tie my hair up in the back. I let a few curls hang at the sides and go to put on my clothes.

I put on deodorant and such then start with my socks. Then my pants then the shirts, putting on my whites forces last. Once I was ready I checked myself in the mirror. The clothes were a bit tight, but otherwise the same. I'll have to ask ma if she can take me shopping after school.

I go to out on my necklace when I yelp in shock, dropping it to the ground. I looked at my fingers, which were slightly burnt. 'Silver...'

Silver?

Seriously, who makes a necklace out of pure silver?! I crouched down and picked the necklace up with my sleeves covered hand, placing it back in its locked box. 'I really liked that necklace. Ironically it was the shape of a crescent moon.' I chuckled.

'Hurry, or you'll be late.' I hear Meo.

   'Shut up, I've still got time.' I smiled.

   I put all my homework into my bag and grabbed my phone and earbuds. I lastly grabbed my laptop and walked out my room. I head downstairs and meet everyone sitting at the kitchen island, eating their own breakfast. Mom was putting work in the kitchen, cooking as much food as she could.

My stomach rumbled at the mere sight. I took a seat between Mateo and Mia. "Sick tattoo." He exclaimed, a smirk displayed on his face. I hear ma scrape her spatula against the pan as everyone goes quiet.

"You got a tattoo?! When?!" Dad yelled as he walked over to me. He moved the collar of my shirt trying to get a good look at my mark.

I shrugged him off and kept my head down. "It's not a tattoo." I murmured. "Then what is it." My mom stated as she turned to face me. I flinched from the sudden tone before replying, "I don't know, a scar?"

"Are you asking."

"No I-"

"I get that you're going through some tough times, but you can't go making decisions like these on your own." She scoffed. "It's just a tattoo it's not a big deal." I shrugged, deciding to go with the lie as I played with the end of my shirt.

I hear a few 'oohs' and gasps when the clanking of metal against plates freezes. "Not a big deal..."

I sighed as I could already hear her screaming her lungs out. "Not a big deal!" She repeated. I could see dad, Jordan and Mateo getting ready to get up while Mia was lathering in the fact that someone other than her was getting a scolding from mom. "The big deal is that you went behind our backs and lied about where you were going!" She yelled.

"I didn't lie then and I'm not lying now! It's not a tattoo!"

"If it's not a tattoo then what is it!"

I was stuck, it really wasn't a tattoo, she'd never believe me if I told her what it really was. "I let you slide when you came home last night just because I knew you might have been having difficulty adjusting to things, after everything you've gone through," she continued, her brows furrowing as her tone slowly raised, "but at least have the decency to tell me the truth." She stated.