5. Classical Music and Dancing

You have two magical evenings with Drake

5. Classical Music and Dancing

The first lecture after Christmas, Drake strolled inside very much like the day he first joined your class. A bit late, looking elegant in suit and tie, and paying no attention to the teacher. This time, however, he paid all the more attention to his classmates. Nodding, smiling, giving little waves, and to your increased delight he took his seat next to you.

Sitting beside him, you were reminded of how much you had missed him. Every day of the holidays you had thought about him and even counted the days until uni would start again – highly unusual, for you.

"How was Christmas?" you whispered.

"Dull."

"Were you in America with your family?"

"I was here in town, not doing much. I learned to bake gingersnaps... and practiced my Swedish. Oh, and I memorized the textbook for the new semester if there is anything you want explained."

Your chest grew tight. Had he been alone all through Christmas and New Years? Poor him... You wished you had known, then you could have come to visit.

He poked you playfully. "Don't look like that, it wasn't too bad. I listened to a lot of music which was fun. I even bought CDs with that loud, noisy junk you guys listen to."

You couldn't talk more because of the ongoing lecture – people nearby were frowning at your whispering – but his grateful smile made you feel better. You were glad that Catrine suggested you buy him a present, and even more glad you had chosen something music related.

At lunch, Drake gathered everyone around him. "I have a belated Christmas gift for you."

"You didn't have to," said Catrine.

"I wanted to." He unfolded a glossy folder with the title 'The Barber of Seville'. He explained it was an opera by Rossini, and that he had tickets for the entire class to the Sunday performance.