2. Lab Partner and Party Protector

Your new classmate is an excellent lab partner, and turns out to be a resourceful ally at parties as well

Your new classmate is an excellent lab partner, and turns out to be a resourceful ally at parties as well. Especially if someone tries to mug you...

2

2. Lab Partner and Party Protector

The next morning you hauled out your cleanest jeans and best t-shirt, and spent far too long in front of the mirror before you rode your bike to campus. But when you arrived at the lecture hall you found that Catrine and Martin had already monopolized Drake, taking the seats on either side of him.

Feeling defeated, you realized he was probably a lost case, and felt embarrassed for dressing up like you had. As if he would ever notice you when there were attractive, fun people like them to hang out with.

Morosely you took a seat in the row behind the trio. You knew you were overly dramatic and silly for feeling so jealous and left out, but couldn't help doing it anyway.

During lunch break, Drake went to a nearby restaurant while the rest of you sat in a student lounge to eat your packed lunches.

"I wish I could afford to eat out every day too." Catrine took a bite of her dry cheese sandwich.

"It's not very healthy though," said Filip, the only vegan in the class.

You had brought leftover macaroni and meatballs and ate them in silence, still feeling a bit low. When you had finished you decided to indulge yourself and bought a chocolate bar in the vending machine to cheer you up.

It didn't help.

Drake returned in the afternoon when it was time for labs, and to your surprise and delight he chose you as his lab partner. You tried not to look smug when Catrine and Martin gave you long, jealous looks.

"Whew, saved by the bell," he murmured. "Is Catrine silent, like, ever?"

You grinned. "Rarely." Just like that, your mood had changed from glum to cheerful.

"Even if I had understood Swedish I wouldn't have caught one word of today's lecture with her prattling in my ear the entire morning."

"I still don't get why you attend lectures."