Chapter 17

Tonight, Mandy's was packed. I could barely get through the swarm of people to make it outside.

"Hey, man, good seeing you here" I turn around and notice drew" drew and I used to party every night together before he transferred schools a year ago "hey man" we give each other a hug "how have you been?"

"Been doing good"

"You missed me so much you had to come back to see me huh"

"No, I haven't thought about you once since I left, this is where the parties at, I had to come check it out.

"you liar" I grab a drink from the cooler "get me one would ya" I hand him the one I'm holding then grab another one.

A tall brunette comes walking up to us putting her arms around Drew's shoulder.

"Spencer this is my girlfriend Nora" she holds out her long-fingered nails "it's nice to meet you" I give her hand a shake

"Yes likewise" her friend behind her stares at me before coming to my side, laying her hand on my arm "hi my name is Cassie, what's yours?"

"spencer" I look her over from her black hair to her short skirt and I guess she takes that as my interest "do you maybe want to get out of here?"

She smiles brightly at me. We just met but she already wants to leave with me. I shake my head "Nah I'm good" Any girl like that doesn't have good intentions. I ignore her for the remainder of the time I'm here as me and drew

go back and forth talking down memory lane until late "it was nice to see you again man, but I gotta go, I'll call you sometime so we can meet up" "alright man" he pats me on the back as I check my phone, it's getting close to midnight I need to leave to.

Walking out to my car I hear someone arguing "Brandon stop!" "I said stop, get off me! "I run towards the scream seeing an all too familiar shadow pinned down by another one.

I push the guy away from her and he stumbles away, tipping over "let me guess, another one of your boy toys?"

She stares at me then turns away "wow even in such a situation you can't say thank you" she glares at me "I didn't ask you for your help and I didn't need it"

I look at her like she's stupid "I'll remember that the next time" I walk away towards the street "wait" her shaking hands latch onto my arm "don't leave me out here by myself"

I shake her hand away "girl, it's like push and pull with you.

You get mad at me for helping you then you turn around and ask for help in your own messed up way"

 her bottom lip begins to wobble "oh don't give me that" Her head was downcast, so I lifted it up with my finger "I'm not in a playing mood Mackenzie, don't treat me like your male dress-up dolls.

 "I'll leave you here" She looks at me with a tear sliding down her cheek.

I grab her arm and we make it to my car "get in" I open the door and push her through. I reach past her towards the seatbelt, but she flinches away. "I'm not going to try anything with you" it takes a moment before she relaxes for me to clasp the belt around her.

"Which way to your house?" she points me in every direction, but she doesn't say a word.

I park beside her driveway and turn the car off "we're here" She continues to remain silent as she looks at her house "can you just drive?"

I glance between her and the house "you going to pay for my gas? She nods her head and I put the shift in reverse backing out.

I drive to the beach where no one will be at this late at night. We sit in silence for some time until she opens her mouth "thank you"

"That took a long time for you to tell me that" she wipes her eyes "I don't remember the last time someone has done anything for me to reply with thanks"

I stare at her "well your welcome" she opens the car door getting out "if you wanted to get dropped off her you could've just told me. The small smile on her face didn't match her puffy eyes.

"I want to walk on the beach"

 "Go ahead" She looks at the ocean than at me "by myself? What if I get kidnapped or killed?' I stared at her for a long moment.

Is she for real? She doesn't move until I get out and reach out for her hand tugging her out of the car "let's go then" The water was freezing.