Chapter 12 - Mistakes

Paxton adored Sarah.

He adored her so much he thought he should give her something. A simple momento. A complex surprise. Something. Something that she could look at and would smile and think of him like he did. 

The Price family was walking through the local flea market located a few miles into the town. It was almost like the two was in the center of everything, connecting all the small towns like branches from trees. Different people of different races made appearances and were selling various objects that were popular in their town. 

Paxton saw jewelry, clothes, and...food. He stopped at one cart, a doughy substance was being grilled on a flat, silver plate over a small gas fire. He stepped up to the clerk's stall in awe, taking in the sweet scent of the many condiments the gentleman had and watching as he twisted the doughy substance into something round and covered it in the different sauces he had available. 

"Paxton? Paxton!" The Price family called out to him. He turned sharply in response and growled but when he saw Sarah, he calmed down a bit. He was hungry, forgetting to eat before they came and whenever he was taken away from food, he had a tendency to get a bit feral. 

"My lord, Paxton. We've been looking for you for ages!" Justine slapped him on the arm softly; a warning.

"What's wrong with you, Paxton? Making a middle-aged woman worry like that." Sarah murmured. 

"HEY!" Justine directed her anger towards her oldest. 

Sarah waved her off and directed her attention on Paxton. He'd been all she could think about the past few days. Ever since the encounter with him in her room, she had been more protective of him. He was a fragile being, and she felt as if he was hers to take care of.

"Paxton, would you like one?" She pointed to the dessert that and taken Paxton's interest. He turned back to the delicacy and nodded slightly, understanding that she was asking him about the food. He had been learning their language; learning how to understand actions as well as a few words that were commands or questions. Communication was awkward still, but he could understand if there was an action with a word such as points, thumbs up, shaking a finger back and forth, and of course the middle finger, which he had earned by walking in on Sarah using the shower one night.

"Three please." Justine told the clerk, already looking through her purse to give him the money required to buy the delicious pancake/crepe. The man quickly set their orders up and handed the family their different colored treats and took the money from Justine, handing her change back and seeing them off with a "have a nice day".

As the family started to walk off, Paxton heard something off. Almost like a screeching sound from above. He looked up for the sound, pancake half in his mouth, and took in the scene of a man trying to  hold onto a metal beam. He was having incredible difficulty, the beam hanging dangerously off on one side of the building above them, slowly knocking into a pile next to it. The man shouted for help, asking for someone to hold the beam still so he could go see to the pile about to be knocked down. 

The Price family stopped too and looked up to take in the sight, as all the other clerks and townspeople around them did. Everyone gasped in horror as the loose beam knocked into the pile, knocking down the entire stack. The other beams flew off the side of the building, crashing into balconies on the side of the building, some stopped in the balconies, but others kept their dangerous descent to where the townspeople were, where the Price family was.

Everyone screamed as a beam headed right where the Price family was finally made impact. For a second, no one moved. Everything was silent. The dust that formed upon impact kept onlookers from seeing just how bad the damage was. 

Finally, someone called out, "Are they alright?"

The dust settled down, the heavy clouds turning into a thin layer of white powder. 

Once again, everyone gasped. 

The Price family wasn't hurt. In fact, there didn't seem to be a single scratch on them, save for the thin layer of white dust on their clothes and skin. Everyone's attention was on one member and one member alone; Paxton.

He was covering the Price family, the metal beam still situated on his back.

And he was still alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, it's been awhile. 

I'm back! It's summer so look forward to me more! 

I don't want to bug everyone with the news that is taking its old on my household, so I'm just gonna leave you with a simple thanks so much for praying for us and helping with your encouraging comments! 

Vote and Comment so I can keep on with this story!