Chapter 7 - Let The Games Begin!

"Mother, where's the boy at?" Sarah asked from the kitchen, looking everywhere for the nuisance that now lived in her family. The family hadn't eaten a full meal in days thanks to the new member of the household and it had finally drove Sarah to the brink.

"You mean Paxton?" Her mother corrected, coming up behind her and starting to wash the dishes from the night before. She cringed as she came across a cracked plate that she was sure the boy had ruined with his eating ways.

"Paxton?" Sarah questioned.

"Yes, Paxton. That's the name your father would have named our son but then Gia came instead." She said nonchalantly. Her mother always made their father's death seem like a light topic, even though it was surely painful for both parties to speak of.

"So, where's, urm, Paxton?" Sarah tried his newfound name awkwardly.

"He's playing with Gia and her friends. I swear, we've barely been here a few weeks and she's already friends with everyone in this town!" Her mother laughed, with a hint of pride tracing her words.

'You mean the only two kids in this town?' Sarah's eyebrow rose at her mother but she quickly shook her head, leaving the home, bread bits in hand as she headed to where she assumed Gia and her friends were.

"Be back by dinner!" Her mother warned as she slammed the door shut behind her.

Sarah walked gingerly out to the field where the others were. She could see that they were playing baseball, and that the boy---Paxton, was doing terribly. He was a great athlete with great strength, but knew nothing of the game itself or that he couldn't just use all his strength with little kids.

"Paxton, go get the ball!" One little girl ordered him, pointing him in the direction of where he'd just thrown it.

Paxton took off, going to look for the spherical thing that grabbed his attention from the get-go.

Sarah called everyone over. "Guys, I want to try something!"

Paxton and the others headed to where she stood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is stupid." The little girl, who she learned was called Talia, stated.

"Seriously, what are you even doing? He's not a dog." The other little kid, Eric, reprimanded.

Both kids took off with Gia as Sarah held a piece of bread before Paxton's eyes.

The other day, when Paxton had saved her from Michael, and helped her with the boxes, she had found a dog training guide. She was curious and took a peek, suddenly engrossed in the book and tried to take in all its contents the night before.

"When I say wait, you wait." She ordered as she held the bread out to him.

The boy lunged forward, snatching the bread from her hand and stuffing it down his throat.

"No! Bad boy! When I say wait, you wait." She repeated as she took out another piece of bread from her jacket pocket.

The boy lurched forward again, only to meet air as Sarah pulled her hand back, taking away the precious food.

The boy growled deeply at Sarah, lunging at her. She screamed as the boy pinned her down, going face first for her hand that was crushing the bread now.

With another growl, he bit down on Sarah's hand, causing a petrified shriek to come from her lips.

The boy jumped back from the sound, and the taste, as he realized he didn't bite down into the bread, but Sarah herself.

Clearly frightened, he looked up at her, waiting to see if she was okay.

Sarah sat up quickly, bread still clutched into her hand, a disappointed look on her face.

"You bit me!" She scolded. The boy shrunk back. "But that was good, you waited." She sighed.

"Let's try again. When I say eat, this time, you eat." She motioned an eating motion with the bread in her hand and the boy stared at her in confusion.

He scooted forward a bit as she held out her hand again.

"Wait."

The boy halted, staring at the bread.

"Wait." She ordered again.

The boy stopped breathing as he waited.

"Eat." She ordered, raising the bread up to his face.

The boy looked up from the bread to Sarah, silently asking if he could have the bread.

"Eat!" She ordered as she shoved the bread into his mouth. He swallowed it whole.

She smiled and reached out for his head, but he flinched from her touch.

"Hey, I'm supposed to do this. Come here." She ordered. The boy sat still as she pet him. "Good boy, Paxton. There's hope for you, now." She laughed.

Now she could eat in peace.

However, "Let's try again." She stated as she pulled another piece of bread out. The boy growled in distaste and she chuckled at him.

That was the start of Paxton. He felt something that day when Sarah showed him her patience and acceptance. He finally had something to live for; a family.

Paxton felt warm for the first time in his life. The beast was at bay with Sarah.

So I've updated yet again.

There's been things on my mind, this story being one of them.

I think I owe it to you all to tell you I've quit my varsity dance team due to pulling both hamstrings and my knee shifting. I simply can't do it anymore and this has resulted in a lot more time to think and I've realized I'm kind of upset about a few things. I'm trying to sort out these things but as you all know, problems at your home and school are hard to deal with.

But I won't stop updating for anything! I may be upset today, but there's more to see tomorrow, right?

Love you all and enjoy! Please vote and comment too, ya silent readers!