Chapter 2 - Reasons Why

"And then I said, Molly, I told you to bring me the course chunks, not horse chunks!" The older woman, Evelina hollered.

It was dinner time in the Price household. After a long day of moving, Justine Price volunteered to have make those who helped dinner. This, of course was hours after Michael left. No one really wanted him around, especially the Price family.

Justine looked over at her eldest and gave her a sad smile. Her daughter Sarah looked annoyed at the new and boisterous company they were attending to. One man in particular was grinding her gears.

Mr. Potsky.

The man was as loud as they come. He would double dip his spoon into the main dinner plates when you were supposed to take your portion and leave it or ask for seconds from the hostess' themselves. He spat in everyone's food and Sarah would cringe then scowl at the man's foul manners.

Then, as if sensing her glare, he turned to her expectantly.

"Would you mind pouring me another bowl of soup, dear?" He asked tenderly.

Sarah looked at him as if he had a third head. 'What, just so you could spit on us again?' She thought in annoyance.

Sensing her daughters stress, Justine jumped in with, "That's a great idea, Mr. Potsky. Sarah, why don't you pour me some more soup too, honey?"

Her mother pleaded with her to get up with her expressions and with a sigh, Sarah heaved herself up and went into their kitchen and poured two fresh bowls of soup for Mr. Potsky and her mother.

She paused before going back into the dining room and almost hit herself in the face with the boiling hot bowls of soup.

'It's still outside.' She thought as she rushed into the dining room, handing off the bowls of soup to her mother and the annoying Mr. Potsky.

She looked towards her mother earnestly. "I think I left a box outside. Is it alright if I bring it in?" She asked her mother. Sarah had never felt this level of embarrassment before. She was in front of her new strangers, whom helped her family move in all day, and suddenly said out of nowhere they had missed a box. No, she hadn't checked if it was missing, but Sarah felt it was. Like it was pulling her outside to retrieve it.

Her mother hesitated before nodding. "But be careful. We don't know what animals are lurking outside at this time of night." She called after Sarah.

Sarah rolled her eyes as she briskly walked out the front door into the cold night. She quickly tucked her sweater in between her arms and made a dash for the gate. The closer she got to it, the more she felt like she was being watched. She stopped and looked around curiously. Maybe she should have listened to her mother.

As she tried to make a dash again, her chest felt like it was caving in. She stopped once more and tried to slow her breaths but it wasn't working.

"Picture yourself in a happy place." Her doctor once told her.

'A happy place?' She thought. 'What happy place?' Reluctantly, she closed her eyes and thought back on an old memory.

~She was six at the time, her father still alive and they were having a tea party. He was laughing his signature laugh as his daughter hopped up and down telling him she was the princess until her sister would be born.~

Breathing became easier as Sarah opened her eyes and stared at the cardboard box that contained her treasure in front of her. She sighed in bliss as she picked them up and hauled them inside, straight to her room. She definitely didn't want to be apart of the neighbors loud dinner ever again.

A few hours later her mother came into her room to say goodnight, telling her the neighbors wished them well in their new abode and that they hoped they have a good life here.

Sarah pondered if her mother told them about their condition, about her being sick. She most likely did, to explain her abrupt behavior, but Sarah didn't care. She was used to her mother making excuses on her behalf and welcomed it wholeheartedly. Sarah wasn't one to talk to people. She kept to herself most of the time. But when you're homeschooled, what do you expect?

"Get some rest, sweetie. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." Her mother told her and flicked off her lights and shut her door behind her.

Sarah quickly got out of bed and went over to the cardboard box that contained her treasures in the corner. She pawed through the miscellaneous stuff until she came upon the notebook. Her notebook.

One look at Sarah was all one needed to say she was a recluse. And that she would never share her feelings with anything or anyone. But the second part wasn't necessarily true. Though she never spoke to anyone about how she was really feeling, she wrote it all down in her notebook.

'I wish to die already,' one page stated. 'I'm tired of living this way,' another cried out. 'Just let me die!'

Sarah was depressed to say the least. She bit her lip, reading through her tear-stained pages. She wanted to slap herself for writing this nonsense down, but at the same time she was glad she didn't explode and belt out these sayings to her mother. Her mother worried enough. She would not be able to take another suicide attempt without losing herself as well. So Sarah wrote it all down in her notebook.

No, this wasn't healthy. But neither is their family situation.

As she nestled up in her bed, Sarah wracked through her brain about her recent thoughts of stress. Mr. Potsky? Too easy. Life? A pain, but she'd already taken up a page about it. Death? Boring. Her love life? Perfect.

She wrote and wrote for hours, crying on some parts on how she would be single forever because she wasn't in public school and even if she was, no boys would take an ounce of interest in her.

Until tonight.

~~~~~~~~~

So did y'all like that? I had to change the names and storyline a little due to copyright. But it kind of sticks to the plot, no?

Please comment and vote and tell me your thoughts, it really helps :)