[1]

C a s s i e

Third period, Mr. Atkinson is teaching a lesson as he stands behind his desk drawing formulas on the board teaching Calculus, finishing where we left off yesterday.  The room is quiet and no one is paying attention so it looks like the tall thin gray haired man with a long matching beard is explaining the problems to himself.

On my right, Janet and Nadia are whispering about something but I mute them out when my eyes lands to the left of me where my boyfriend's best friend, Issac is lying down on top of the desk with his notebook shut underneath his crossed arms, eyes closed tightly, hair spreading all over his face while his thick dark brows are knitted in a deep crease on his forehead.

I stop writing and just stare at the caucasian boy with the pencil still in my hand as the front point touches the white paper. He looks so angry when he sleeps. Is he having a bad dream?

My mind rewinds back that night we kissed.

~Flashback~

"This party fucking sucks,"

Jason muttered mostly to himself as he sat next to me on the couch inside the crowded house party that one of his teammates were having while their parents were on vacation in Mexico. He groaned and took a sip from his red cup filled with beer.

"Well it was your idea to come here instead of going to the cinemas," I commented, rolling my eyes at my drunk boyfriend who weren't paying me any attention.

"Be a doll and grab me another beer, why don't ya." He tossed the empty beer can somewhere on the floor. I told him to stay there and I would be right back.

"Jerk," I sighed underneath my breath as I hurried towards the crowded kitchen. Many guys smiled at me waving, checking me out as one of my closest friends stood with her back towards everyone, making a drink.

I leaned in closer toward her for she could hear me better over the banging music. "I thought you said your boyfriend was having a small kickback with his friends? There's like more than a hundred people walking around."

Another friend of mine who's Asian named Janet smiled without saying anything back and then almost jumped out of her boots when our childhood friend that has ink printed all over his body wearing all black from head to toe hugs her from behind, smiling with a lit joint in between his lips.

She squeaked turning around to face the tall man holding a pack of beer in one hand and said"Issac!" He sat the drinks down on the countertop. Janet stood to the side smiling as me and my boyfriend's best friend made long eye contact without saying anything for a few seconds.

I blinked and so did he.

His dark eyes casted a spell on me it felt like because I couldn't move or talk. Everything around us seemed to be fading away as my mind turned into mush.

"Hey, Cassie. Haven't been seeing you around lately." Issac spoke, sliding his hands in the front pockets of his baggy pants.

Janet held her hands on her hips. "Maybe because Jason's been keeping her company, if you know what I mean."

Issac shoved her left shoulder with one hand then looked at me with a flirty smile. "Did you have a good summer?"

"Yeah, I did." Is the last thing I said to him as he grabbed a canned beer, leaving the kitchen when someone called his name. I always thought he had a thing for Janet. Truth is, they were just very close.

Grabbing two canned beers, I exited the kitchen after having a small chat with different people from our school. Cutting in front of groups spreading around the place, I couldn't find my boyfriend anywhere but I saw Issac. He stood around the pool talking to random people that were playing a game that had something to do with picking a piece of paper out of a clear bowl in the center of the circle. I yelled his name but of course he didn't hear me or even looked my way, too busy watching two girls kissing in the pool.