[14]

I s s a c

Stopping my car in front of her house, I take the key out of the ignition and then climb out quietly, shutting the door. It's dark outside and the ground is wet from the rain earlier. Quickly but carefully, I round the house to where her bedroom window is and then climb the ladder up.

Casandra is sitting up in bed writing in a journal. I push the window open and then climb inside the bedroom. I stand on my feet then walk to her when she doesn't look at me.

"Hey," I tap her on the shoulder.

She almost screams, taking her earbuds out of her ears while staring at me in fear as if I'm the boogeyman. "Jesus Christ, Issac you scared me." She sits up on her knees and then wraps me in a hug.

"I wish you told me you were coming," she pulls away from the hug and then puts her journal down on the nightstand while I slide off my shoes and hoodie.

I throw my hoodie across the room on the desk and then put my boots underneath the bed. Casandra places her earbuds in her drawer to the nightstand.

Lying down shirtless with a pair of my boxers on, I watch her in just an oversized Star Wars shirt, walking towards the door to lock it before climbing beside me in bed underneath the sheets.

We haven't talked much since Halloween night. I miss her. I stare up at the ceiling while she rests her head on my chest, and her legs tangled with mine. "Where were you today?"

I breathe out heavily, rubbing my eye sleepily. "Work."

Cassie looks up at me frowning. "You work?"

"Now I do," I brush some hair behind her ear. "Jason's dad stopped paying the bills. He claimed that his wife said they need to be saving money."

"Where do you work now?" She traces invisible circles on my chest.

"At my cousin's car shop. I do oil changes and fix tires but only part time though," we make long eye contact for more than a minute until she yawns which makes me yawn too.

"Hm," she pecks me on the lips and then flips over on her side pulling the sheets over her upper body. I turn on my side with my arm circling her waist and then rest my chin on her shoulder as our hand entwine.

Breathing in her scent, I shut my eyes but then open them once again when she says "I thought about breaking up with Jason today but I couldn't do it."

"Why not?"

"It's not the right time."

I sit up in bed and so does she, looking at me with a confused frown. "I'm going to do it. I just need more time, Issac. He just lost his sister."

I blow out a breath with my hands pushing through my hair. "You're right but I don't want to be your little secret forever, Cassie."

She scoffs in disbelief. "Do you hear yourself right now? Because it sounds like you're saying you want to risk your friendship with Jason."

"I care about you more than him." The truth comes out of my mouth.

"That's not the point, Issac. When he finds out what we did, he'll kill you."