[11]

I s s a c

I take a sip of my beer and nod to the hip-hop beat, feeling a little tipsy as a girl that I don't know the name of sways her bottom against my crotch, grinning with her arms in the air. She came to the Halloween party wearing a bee costume. I decided to come as a pirate.

The air is hot and so is just about every girl in here but there's one girl I have my eyes on since she's walked through the door. Cassie Edwards is standing in the corner dressed as a witch, the sexiest creature I've ever seen, pouting while holding a full red solo cup, wearing nothing but the color black from head to toe.

Holding the stranger by the waist with one hand, I whisper something in her ear. "Hey, I'm going to get another drink." She spins around to face me, kisses me on the cheek, and then wanders off somewhere.

Cassie has left her spot. I look around but can't find her anywhere.

In the hallway, the air is thick and covered in clouds of smoke, flavored with the skunky odor of pot. Music shakes the windowpanes and has guests bouncing to the fast beat; my shoulders brushing against others as they dance in crowded spaces by the time I reach the kitchen to grab another cold drink, tossing the empty can in the bin.

Bottles on the fridge door clinking together as I open the fridge, grabbing a beer.

"Is she a friend of yours?"

I close the fridge and smile at the most beautiful girl I've laid eyes on sitting on the counter with her arms crossed, holding onto her phone. On her face, there's a frown but I know for a fact I can turn it upside down.

"Who?" I snap the can of beer open, lifting a brow confused. The cold drink makes a pop noise and then a sizzle as I slurp down the alcohol.

When did she come inside the kitchen and how come I didn't see her when I walked in? Cassie gives me a blank expression. "That bee girl."

A smirk settles on my face as I lower the drink from my wet lips after swallowing the cool liquid down my throat, giving me a little buzz. "Uh...nah. I don't even know her name."

Cassie chuckles at me while holding her phone in front of her face, tapping the screen with her thumbs. She's sending a message.

"Is everything alright, Cassie?" I ask after a minute of silence between us. The day she left school early I felt something was wrong and I still feel that way about it. She hasn't been responding to my texts and has been rejecting my calls too.

Without looking at me she simply says "Yeah." and then hops off the counter, exiting the kitchen. I follow her down the hall and gently touch her arm. She slowly turns around with both brows raised as I stand with her in the middle of a horde of dancers.

"Are you mad at me?" My voice raises over the music but I'm not yelling at her like I'm mad at her.

Cassie's face breaks into a smile. "No, Issac why would you think that?"

I shrug cluelessly, sliding my hand in hers as she looks up at me through her long lashes. I can't help but want to push her up against the wall and kiss her until we both can't breathe. "You've been distant lately...ya know after we kissed. I have this feeling you have regrets and you shouldn't because it was my fault just like yours. I wanted to kiss you since the first time I saw you."

"Truth is I don't want to ruin things between us because, Issac I like you way more than a friend but things are hard right now." She fixes her hat and then brushes the wig off both shoulders.

It feels really good she feels the same way. For a moment I thought I did something that she didn't like. I step closer and rest my palm on the side of her face, not caring if I get makeup on it or not. "What's going on? Talk to me?" There's something bothering my baby girl. She needs me.