Chapter Twenty-Five

"You still have things here, please don't worry about packing too much." Thomas says as we facetime for the first time as we both pack for our trips. He looks healthier. His skin has more life to it, it looks like he has built back some muscle. He looks like he eats regularly again. His hair is still messier than I am used to, but I guess he isn't trying to impress anyone anymore, and well, I used to mess up his hair anyway.

"I'm not worrying like last time." I tell him as I slot my clothes into the carry-on bag. "I'm nervous to be back there at all, that's all."

"Oh." He says softly. "How can I help?" He asks.

"You can't fix everything Thomas. There are things I have to do by myself. I can't rely on other people." I tell him as I take him with me to the bathroom to grab my essentials.

"Well, can I at least get some food in you like or something? So you can take it easy when you get here." He asks hopefully. I smile and shrug gently.

"Okay." I say, smiling as I see him smile.

"Any requests?" He asks, laying on the bed I used to daydream about him being in, those rusty orange sheets making me smile.

"Well I try to eat those foods from the 'keep your heart healthy after surgery' leaflets. So, I'll leave it up to you." I shrug.

"The surgeon part of me is happy, but that must be kind of... boring." He says. "I have trouble getting people to stick to those diets."

"What can I say, I like being good now." I say and laugh. He chuckles and I have to watch him, the smile on his face growing which makes my chest ache in the best way.

"I can't believe that." He says, making me smile and shrug again.

"Believe it or not, it's the truth." I tell him, making him smile and he just looks at me, smiling and showing me his hazel eyes as they sparkle and glitter. "Stop looking at me like that." I pout.

"Like what?" He asks, smiling wider as the sparkles get brighter.

"All, cute and sparkly." I say as I go back to packing.

"I can't help it. I'm so happy." He says softly. My chest aches and I groan, hiding my face in a pillow. I hear him laugh at me and I glare at him.

"I will turn off my camera." I warn him playfully. He rolls his eyes and hides most of his face with his free hand, but his eyes still sparkle and almost intimidate me as they shine from between his fingers.

I zip up my bags and set them by the door, ready for my flight tomorrow. It's mid-day for him, but I am yawning by the time I come back from putting my bags by the door.

"Want me to stay on until you fall asleep?" He asks as I set my alarm.

"Please." I nod, pulling the blanket up.

"Okay." He says. "Oh, one question before you sleep."

"Shoot." I say, my eyes already closed.

"My flight takes off an hour before you land. Do you want to use Joe while you're here?" He asks. "I'll just keep him in long term parking otherwise."

"Oh." I say, my eyes opening. "I haven't driven since the accident." I tell him. The accident wasn't deemed my fault since the car that swiped me was in the middle of the road, but I was fined for littering with my phone. Lucky break.

"Yeah, if you're not comfortable it's fine. I just wanted to offer. I'll leave they key with the long-term people but feel free to take him if you want to." He says kindly. I nod timidly and close my eyes again, drifting off to sleep with only a little bit of anxiety in my chest, it being slowly eased by Thomas gently talking.