Chapter Twenty-Seven

"So, to conclude, Dr Altermann, Dr Phoenix, Dr Ashers and I would like to thank you all for your passion and dedication to these seminars." Dr Jarvis, the hospital's lead transplant surgeon says on our last day of seminars. "We aim to be the country's leading transplant centre by this time next year. That starts with a world class training programme, which I will head with a Doctor I have persuaded to stay here with us." He says, stepping to the side so Dr Altermann can step forward.

"I am honoured and grateful to be the lead doctor for the training programme. I will be the practical lead, so if you don't like my hands on learning style this programme isn't for you. Together we will make this hospital and this transplant centre a beacon of hope. Working with and developing the newest procedures to save more lives and make more lives worth living. Let's bring the future into the present." She says with the sparkle of passion in her eye. I stand and start clapping, everyone turning to look at me before a few others clap and then finally the room does, Dr Altermann blushing a little.

"I see we have our first signee." Dr Jarvis says. I laugh and we all get booklets with the work we have done. Mine is the thickest as I have done the most work, staying behind to work on more cadavers, staying in case of a surgery coming up. It is easier, not having a case load here anymore. So I don't see myself as above anyone else. But no one is surprised as I walk down to the front of the seminar room when the seminar is over, and I step to Dr Jarvis and Dr Altermann.

"Yes, Dr Bridgers, your position in the programme is confirmed." Dr Jarvis says before I can open my mouth. "If that is what you were wondering."

"When does it start?" I ask.

"Well, it will take time for me to make the move from Switzerland. I have to hand over my patients and move so we were looking at starting in January." Dr Altermann says. "But you still have me and the team next week." She reminds me, the last week of their visit dedicated to time for us to come to them with anything we want.

"Perfect." I smile. "Perfect." I breathe out and smile as I skip back out of the seminar room, jumping and wrapping my arms around Teddy who waits for me.

"You got in?" She asks.

"Starts in January." I smile. "Gives me almost three months to navigate everything." I tell her.

"I'm so happy." She says and squeezes me. I laugh happily and I take a deep breath.

"I have to head home. Thomas will be there in an hour, and I want to get things ready." I tell her. She takes my hand, and she squeezes them, taking a deep breath with me.

"You're more than welcome to stay with me if you need it." She says.

"I know." I assure her.

"Good, now go. You're ready." She smiles. I nod and I tuck my book under my arm and head to Joe, taking another deep breath in the car before I go back to the house.

The first thing I do is pick up the one delivery waiting for me. I pull out the bunch of eucalyptus and I go to the kitchen, rolling it out with a rolling pin while it's still in the plastic and I bring it upstairs where I hang it up in the shower. I choose my clothes for after my shower and I take a calming shower with the eucalyptus oil keeping me grounded.

I put on my tank top and sweatpants. Then I have to do something to distract myself from the nerves. I skip down to the kitchen, and I turn on the stove to make hot chocolate. I sit on the island, and I hand whip some cream to go on top, just about adding some vanilla bean paste when there's a knock at the door.

"Something smells amazing." Thomas says as I open the door and see him there, smiling at me. "Hi." He smiles gently.

"Hi." I smile and blush, feeling the sparkles tickle my face. "I am making hot chocolates." I tell him. "Want one?" I ask.